01 bigfoot chain adjusters

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 01 bigfoot chain adjusters

01 bigfoot chain adjusters

do these auto-adjusters slip from dirt or do they break?

i am getting some chain slap on the rear left chain, when i pulled the floor and checked it was looser than the right one.
    i pulled up on the adjuster and it clicked a couple of times and every thing was fine.
    but after driving for a couple of hours yesterday it is back to being slack.

My '01 Conquest has the "ratchet/cam" (my Queens English) type adjusters. There is a torsion spring to keep upward pressure on the unit. Verify the spring is there and engaged properly. Also,mine work better when the grooves/channels that the pin slides up and down in are nice and clean. I remove and clean the adj. units and the grooves on the frame every time I remove the chains to service them.Go in there with a tool of sorts and throughly clean the crud out of the grooves,don't just try "blasting" them out w/the pressure washer,etc. I do this after events such as Busco Beach,etc. when the machine really sees a lot of rough service.Since I have been doing this I have no issues with the chains running slack and slapping around.

Joe.

now i don't mean loose, but can a rattly chain damage anything else if you keep operating the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by madmac View Post
    now i don't mean loose, but can a rattly chain damage anything else if you keep operating the machine?
    As long as it's not too loose, it will be OK.
    I'm wondering if the teeth on the adjuster are worn? Might be worth it to pull it out and have a look. If the teeth are "rounded", it might need to be replaced, or maybe you can just file the teeth, square them up a bit, and try it again.

RD

i was thinking about pulling it and having a look, i am assuming you have to break and remove the chain to get it out?

there is no local dealer around here, do you know of any mail order part source?
    preferably in canada with decent customer service and tech support.

+ Reply to Thread