new bigfoot looking for roll cage info

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new bigfoot looking for roll cage info

new bigfoot looking for roll cage info

hello everyone,
    i am new to the 6x6 world but have been an admirer for a long time now.

i am looking to build a cage for it to mount a windshield and a roof to.
    im looking for information on how tall the cage is. i have seen lots of nice cages and pictures in the gallery to get ideas from just don't want to short change my self on height or go to tall.

thanks

I can't answer your question, But I would be inclined to make it as LOW and LIGHT as comfortably possible (not so low that it hits your head or anything). Make your top as light as possible, Canvas would be my choice, that way you will not be tempted to use the top as a storage place.
    Reason:
    Cages make Argo's top heavy. With a 6x6, you're already going to think it's creapy driving down a steep hill. Add a top to that and bump the brake wrong on the way down and you can really get a scare.

I'm not against having a cage, actually I would like to have cages for all my machines, but would opt for an easily removable design. IMHO, cages are usually more of a PITA than you might think (Depending on riding conditions, of course)

RD

I second that it really can be a pita but this is my opioin

i do like it with out a cage, but my main area for riding has a lot of over growth with briers so a cage would help with scratches. any other suggestions to help with my problem????

My Conquest came with a cage on it built by the previous owner. The cage is mounted through the lip of the body. The bottom of the cage tubes have a stud that goes through the lip of the body. They fabricated "U" shaped brackets that slide over the lip and the stud from the tube goes through the U, through the lip and out the other side of the U and gets bolted. It is pretty easy to remove. The U brackets add strength to the lip.

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/ledg...-27s-argo.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    I can't answer your question, But I would be inclined to make it as LOW and LIGHT as comfortably possible (not so low that it hits your head or anything). Make your top as light as possible, Canvas would be my choice, that way you will not be tempted to use the top as a storage place.
    Reason:
    Cages make Argo's top heavy. With a 6x6, you're already going to think it's creapy driving down a steep hill. Add a top to that and bump the brake wrong on the way down and you can really get a scare.

I'm not against having a cage, actually I would like to have cages for all my machines, but would opt for an easily removable design. IMHO, cages are usually more of a PITA than you might think (Depending on riding conditions, of course)

RD
    I saw an avenger at CN Argo on Saturday that had the roll cage and what looked like a storage box up top.. It looked like it may have been made out of aluminum so it would be light enough, but I can see more headaches than it would be worth.. How much more would you want to put up there?

Hopefully the riders that build a roll cage realize that the weight of it reduces your height going through the bush (under trees or low branch areas) and they also reduce your total cargo limit, particularly if you intend on floating it. The factory one for the 6x6 reduces it by 130 pounds, and for the Avenger it is 155 pounds. Also from the Argo Manual:
    "Do NOT use an Argo 6x6 in water when equipped with a ROPS. The increased weight of the snow plow out front or the top-heavy weight of the ROPS on the 6x6 will make the Argo unstable and could cause the vehicle to capsize, causing injury or drowning the driver and passengers."

Alot of the guys up in alaska use roll cages and haul quite a bit of stuff up there.
    Go to (AllSeasonArgo) and look in their costomer photos.

IMG_0852.jpgIMG_0851.jpgIMG_0853.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mcn5085 View Post
    i do like it with out a cage, but my main area for riding has a lot of over growth with briers so a cage would help with scratches. any other suggestions to help with my problem????
    My HUSTLER Bigfoot has a front bumper. I drilled a 3/8 hole a few inches in from the end and welded a nut over the hole. Then I found some tubing that slides inside the bumper, cut a piece the same length as the bumper, and cut that in half. Built a couple thumb screws from a 3/8 bolt and a steel gusset. under normal riding, the bumper extensions are in, but when I get to briars, I can loosen the thumb screws and slide them out. this added width knocks a pretty wide path of briars down and keeps me from getting beat up too bad
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

those bumper extensions are a great idea

i got some pipe and started to bend it today will post pics of my cage when i get it finished

+ Reply to Thread