My Starter motor keeps turning when I turn the ignition on

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Starter motor keeps turning when I turn the ignition on

My Starter motor keeps turning when I turn the ignition on

I hope some one might be able to help on this one

I have connected the engine up after rebuilding it. I have connected everything using the connection blocks.

When I turn the key to the run position the starter motor runs and will not stop also the spark plugs do not seem to issue a spark so the engine does not start.

I have checked the switch and dismantled and cleaned it and check the operation and it seems fine.

Has anyone got any idea what the problem is as I am a bit stumped with electrics.

I will add that when I first put the engine in and connected up all the lights and brake fan worked and then when you turned on to run if the ignition was turned to the start position every thing stopped working and the starter did not turn either. I took off the starter as I thought that it was faulty tested it (it was ok) and replaced it and then the problem obove started and has continued.

Best regards

Rif

what kind of 6x6 do you have and does it have a starter relay like and old ford truck

To me it sounds like your starter relay is connected to the auxillary (maybe ignition) terminal of the switch. Without knowing more about your machine I can't say for certain but it isn't uncommon for engine switches to have an auxillary terminal that is open (off) when in the start position so everything on that circuit would shut off to conserve power for starting.

Sorry I should have mentioned it is an Argo Conquest 1999 with a Kawasaki FD620 Engine, it does have a "solonoid/relay" mounted on the back of the Starter

The machine is an Argo Conquest 1999 with Kawasaki FD620 engine I don't knowif that makes a difference. I have checked the starter switch and it does have a dedicated wire that goes down to the terminal on the solonoid on the starter.

I would start with the switch. Pull it out and test it if you have a DVOM. you should have continuity between the B terminal and the S terminals only when the key is turned to the start position. If you don't have a DVOM, usually a NAPA auto parts can test the switch functions for you, and they can probably also sell you a new switch (i needed) for far less than it will cost from Argo.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I'll assume that when you traced the starter wire you checked that it was connected to the Start terminal on the switch.
    Then the switch isn't working properly. Disassemble it again and check to see why S is acting like A.
    If you don't have a meter and you aren't close to help you can just use an auxillary circuit to test continuity. Example: disconnect everything from the switch. Connect the fan circuit to each of the following:
    auxillary terminal - on when key is on goes off when key turned to start.
    ignition terminal - on when key is on and when turned to start.
    start terminal - on only when key goes to start.

Whoops, I said disconnect everything. Well, everything except the battery.

Hmm. If your battery is connected to your Auxillary terminal then this also explains everything going off at key start.

Could you have put the switch together with the terminal markings rotated so that things are mislabelled?

Your battery is on A so it disconnects when key start.
    Your starter is on I so it appears on all the time.
    Your auxillary is on B so it seems to work the same.
    Your ignition is on S so it never starts. (because the battery has disconnected)

I'm going with this one right now...

Thanks for the help

I'm not sure what you mean by DVOM, or NAPA, you also refer to the B terminal and the S Terminal could you clarify which these are as Electrics are not my strongest subject.

Further to my recent question and some of everyones kind answers I have checked a few more things

I have done a voltage check on the wire to the starter solenoid in the off position there is no power swiched to run there is a feed at 11.8 volts (Which I would assume is incorrect)

when wire is re connected to the starter and the ignition is turned to run Starter turns but there is no spark if I then turn the ignition to starter on the spring load portion of the switch the starter continues to turn and I get a spark at the plugs.

From this I assume that there is a short somewhere as I have checked the switch, I more confused than ever

DVOM, Digital Volt Ohm Meter. NAPA, auto parts supply chain here in the states.

Joe.

Try clicking this link,there are some very basic diagrams and info here.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/rep_switches.cfm

Joe

+ Reply to Thread