A rock & a hard spot. Any ideas?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A rock & a hard spot. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Tks Guy
    I have heard of doing this, but never have had it explained well, nor have I seen it done. Having read the article, I can't believe the simplicity and I assure you that all the componets for rigging this up will be in my Argo "Stuff" box before the end of the day. Thanks a bunch.

RD
    Don't forget to pack a set of welding goggles. It wasn't mentioned in the article. There is also some low weld temp alum alloy that can be melted with a plumbers torch.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    Don't forget to pack a set of welding goggles. It wasn't mentioned in the article. There is also some low weld temp alum alloy that can be melted with a plumbers torch.
    Actually it was mentioned, you may not have scrolled down far enough:

Quote:
    While you're at the hardware store buying sticks, you'll want to pick up some eye protection. A full-face welding helmet is your best bet, but if you're looking at this setup as an emergency-only trail welder and don't want to have to carry anything big with you, you can get away with a set of welding goggles. Just make sure you get a set of goggles with a shield dark enough for welding. You may have to buy the shield separately from the goggles, as most goggles sold in local stores are brazing goggles. These use a much lighter lens than is required for adequate protection while welding. The darker replacement lenses should be located in close proximity to the goggles, just make sure they're marked as replacement welding lenses. While you're there, you might consider a pair of welding gloves, although these are not entirely necessary if you're careful and don't mind a little bit of welding splatter splashing back at you.

Once you've got your batteries, goggles, sticks, and cables, you're ready to weld. Just remove the two batteries from the vehicles, and hook the positive terminal on the first battery to the negative terminal on the second battery. This will hook up the two batteries in series, yielding 24 Volts of power.

RD

Fix it, Welding on the trail - YouTube

and this guy talks about an "air arcing rod" using coat hanger as filler, similar to Tig

Welding with jumper cables,The Brigham Tea co - YouTube

I am of course assuming Argo parts are steel. I have some map gas and solder as well, but for sticking steel together...

Yes, just get the replacement lens for arc welder helmet, you can find a way to hide behind it, lol

yup didn't scroll down. I have tried to repair some aluminum with this stuff but with mixed results.
    Dura Fix Aluminum Welding Aluminum Brazing Aluminum Soldering & Repair Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Fix it, Welding on the trail - YouTube

and this guy talks about an "air arcing rod" using coat hanger as filler, similar to Tig

Welding with jumper cables,The Brigham Tea co - YouTube
    Great demonstration. Great comparison between 12 and 24 volts. I kept waiting for that second guy to bump that barrel against his bumper...

Now I have to go and try it myself.

+ Reply to Thread