A rock & a hard spot. Any ideas?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A rock & a hard spot. Any ideas?

A rock & a hard spot. Any ideas?

So I'm about 10 miles put in the bush right now. Problem: I've ripped my middle chain tensioner off, as well as the square bar that it locks against. I managed to baby it to where I was going, but the chain is popping and cracking, trying to climb off the back sprocket. Without the tensioner to take up slack and guide the chain, it wants to walk off. I removed one link to shorten the chain, but that's too much. I have a halflink on it's way out, and that will allow me to get the chain together, but the chain will still drag along the bottom of the tub.
    I might be able to get the tensioner back under the chain, just to hold it up, but it won't work as a tensioner without the brace bar.

Any ideas for a temporary tensioner I could make up??

RD

[QUOTE=Rock Doctor;98941]So I'm about 10 miles put in the bush right now. Problem: I've ripped my middle chain tensioner off, as well as the square bar that it locks against. I managed to baby it to where I was going, but the chain is popping and cracking, trying to climb off the back sprocket. Without the tensioner to take up slack and guide the chain, it wants to walk off. I removed one link to shorten the chain, but that's too much. I have a halflink on it's way out, and that will allow me to get the chain together, but the chain will still drag along the bottom of the tub.
    I might be able to get the tensioner back under the chain, just to hold it up, but it won't work as a tensioner without the brace bar.

Any ideas for a temporary tensioner I could make up??
    If you can get a piece of nylon between 1/4 and 3/8 inch thick and cut it about 3 inches wide with the length just enough to place over the chain but still fit below the lips of the frame, you can move that piece back towards the sprocket which will tighten the chain somewhat. The nylon can be held in place by bolting down through the frame lips and into the nylon. There should be enough flex in the nylon that when the chain tightens against it it will bend. Hope you can follow my explanation. Good Luck..................Don

10 miles is a long way to limp on anything rigged up. I can only assume that you can't remove that one chain and still make it through the terrain?
    Could you rig up something like these floating tensioners? McMaster-Carr

The first thing I thought of was this chain tensioner: Roll-Ring Chain Tensioner If you had something big enough for this or even if you could use something like a roll of duct tape in between the top and bottom of the chain.

Cut a piece if tree 2" 3" 4" in diameter what ever it takes to take up the slack. Wire or rope it in place on the bottom and drive it out of that hard spot. hope it works. Terry :-)

Bad service with iPhone
    Halflink is about 3 miles away now. Tks for ideas, chain needs to be held up away from bottom tub, so block of wood might work. Not sure how to hold it in place, working on that. If I can hold the old chain tensioner in place, it should work in the same way.

Yes 10 miles is a ways, and I have the family with me. Worst case scenario, I take the quad (ugh), out to the truck, drive home and get the other Argo and return for the family

RD

Maybe wrap a piece of plastic form a Poly drum around the the top and bottom chain like a tube and pull the chains together with a cinch strap,wire or tywraps. Probably make a few layers and hold the slider in place near the original tensioner. You can always lace the plastic together with wire or rope.

If you can wedge a 2x4 into the frame rails the would act as tensors and they would not hurt the chain. You could use two if they would fit and back them up against the cross braces. I don't what you have available to work with out in the wild. If you have a circular saw you could even cut out a section and change the height to fit the tension needed. If you have a few tools.

I must admit that I thought these were the junkiest things I have ever laid eyes on..I have a million dollar custom made machine where I work and we are running this float style tensioner on a 120 chain. It is holding up quite well and does not require quick change outs. it seems to last for some time and wears really well....I am impressed to say the least...wish I had a pic to show ya
    Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    10 miles is a long way to limp on anything rigged up. I can only assume that you can't remove that one chain and still make it through the terrain?
    Could you rig up something like these floating tensioners? McMaster-Carr
    Last edited by fasteddiesllc; 09-24-2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: spelling..too early in the a.m.

My thought, just to get out of the woods, would be to rig up 2 pieces of HDPE for above and below the chain. Drill some holes in them and hold them together with tywraps.
    If the tywraps contacted the chain I'm sure they would wear thru. Tightening the tywraps would provide more chain tension.

+ Reply to Thread