Mixed tire sizes

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mixed tire sizes

Mixed tire sizes

3na3o23l05V05O65R0b9cae4e5534754a13a3[1].jpgI'm looking at a 1998 Argo Conquest that has 205 hours on the meter. The owner put larger than stock tires on the first and third axels, to make it easier to turn. I noticed when test driving on asphalt the chain tensioner under the drivers feet jumped and thumped the floor pan frequently. Is this due to the tire mismatch, or does it indicate more serious problems? What should I pay for a machine this old? It doesn't look abused.

The chain tensioners under your feet slapping the floorboards is normal, but it wouldn't hurt to check the chain to see if it's stretched.
    In good shape, I would expect to see about $5,000 for a price tag, depending on options and condition of chains, bearings, sprockets, frame, ect.

RD

I see you're new here.

Just so you know, if Rock Doctor says it's normal, then it's normal.
    BUT...
    In my, insignificant in comparison, experience; it's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by WMFRASER View Post
    Attachment 7449... It doesn't look abused.
    Different tire sizes on these machines is abuse of a sort. If I were looking at this machine I would be looking for signs of where the chain-windup ended up. Places would be:
    sprockets - would need to consider replacing.
    tire beads - will find this because tire losses air at the bead. Use bead sealer.
    At the tread/earth interface - most probable depending on terrain. Wears tires out.

For sure this puts a lot of load on the whole drive system so check for other broken parts.

And consider that you may be buying at least 4 new tires.

Looks like the small tires could almost be up in the air with those big tires! I would expect the chain & tensioners to slap even more than normal with the mismatched tire sizes. But as stated above it is normal for them to slap the floor pans on occasion, not frequently though.

I can't imagine that anything has be damaged by the mismatched tires on a machine with only 200 hrs but I'd be looking for all one size of tire if I were to buy it. Hopefully he might still has the original tires for you to put back on.

FYI - in 2009 I paid $5000 for a 2000 Conquest with 190 hrs on it up here in Alaska.

Thanks all. He does still have the originals fortunately. It makes sense that the different circumferences would cause the chain tensioners to activate more than normal. I could feel them hitting every few seconds at low speed.

+ Reply to Thread