New to the site and New to AATV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to the site and New to AATV

New to the site and New to AATV

I just bought a new to me 2004 Argo Response 8x8 with super tracks, winch and brush guard, and all the other add-on parts.

I own and operated a Hot Rod and Kustom Car shop so I think I am going to make a custom roll cage as well as some other things for it.

Is there any maintenance or problem areas that this machine has that I should be aware of. It only has 101 hours on it.

Thanks in advance.

Boy did you get taken. That machine is junk. I'll help you unload it - just send it to me...

Just kidding.

I don't know of any problem areas for your machine. Check bearings, sprockets, chain, tensioners - these are basic Argo things.

But, the reason I popped in, I see you are a hot rod enthusiast. You might be interested in searching out posts made by a member named "Roger S". He is sadly no longer with us but he did leave a legacy here at 6x6world. He would be the guy that I would most label "response hot rod expert".

It's just that I've never seen a hotrodder leave a car alone so I assume it won't be long and you be telling us about your 40hp briggs.

Welcome aboard!

For maintenance my approach is:
    1. Keep the oil changed in the engine & tranny
    2. Clean the air filter.
    3. Grease the bearings.
    4. Lube the chains.
    5. Watch and adjust the transmission chaings.
    6. Watch the chain tensioners on the wheels to know they are keeping tight.
    7. To make the above a little less messy - keep it clean by washing the inside of the tub once a year with a pressure washer.

There are a lot of good ideals out there for top racks on machines so try searching the web for Argo photos for ideals.

Thanks guys for all the great replies. I certianly have a hard time leaving anything alone. I make my living by making things that most people say are impossible to do.
    I am building a Model A Ford for a customer with a 500ci Caddy motor in it. Just an example.

I will keep on top of the maintenance for sure. One thing I didi notice was that when driving at low speeds in low gear it sounds like the tranny is grinding like is half engaged. Maybe not so much grinding but more like the tranny sounds like its not totally engaging. Or maybe its just how it is supposed to be. Who knows.

is it a grinding sound or whining? whining sound is normal for the high hours machine but yours shouldnt be that loud yet

Fairly bulletproof machine you have there.
    Without hearing the trans, it's impossible to say for sure, but it is possible to be "partially" engaged, however, if it's partially engaged, it usually doesn't take long for the gears to "walk" apart and become disengaged. Inside the trans, there is a gear that slides on a shaft, to 1 of 3 positions. H L R, there are dimples in the shaft to "locate" the sliding gear, but it is possible to miss the dimple, crush the locator ball/spring, ect. Over time, this can cause problems, rounding off the gear faces and making it easier and easier for the gears to walk apart.

RD

Check the top of the Trans to see if you have a Low Geared Trans, they are usually the loudest.

My trans selector reads Reverse, Neutral, Low, High. It has a whining sound but also kind of sounds like its not engaged all the way but functions perfectly fine. Reminds me of the sound that straight cut gears make when they are spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by blacktopbutcher View Post
    My trans selector reads Reverse, Neutral, Low, High. It has a whining sound but also kind of sounds like its not engaged all the way but functions perfectly fine. Reminds me of the sound that straight cut gears make when they are spinning.
    You nailed it, they ARE straight cut gears :-)

RD

Rock Doctor. That Explains everything. I was wondering if they where straight cut gears. Good and durable but man do they make alot of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by blacktopbutcher View Post
    Good and durable but man do they make alot of noise.
    Sorry, Spur gears (straight cut gears) if made right for the application, should not be noisy. We know of a place that has been making cam timing gears for racing VW's (spur gears) & also planetaries for powerglide transmissions (spur gears) & the customers seemed to be extremely happy with how quiet they are. It can be done. The name escapes me, though.

Bridget

+ Reply to Thread