Restoring 70`s argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Restoring 70`s argo

Restoring 70`s argo

I have been restroing this what I beleive to be a late 70`s Argo. I picked up a brand new 20hp kohler command for $200.00 I have it mounted but am concerned that it may be to much hp for the old argo. My other question is can I just replace the front axel with the new style or will that cause problems. The tires came on it they look brand new any issues I should be worried about with these. Here are a few pictures the first one is when I got it the second two I was able to get before the camera died Ill get more up soon.

The only issue with the tires will be their ability (or lack of) to swim but that may not be a problem depending on what kind of terrain you ride in. For the axles, you can run newer or custom axles on the front and the stock ones on the rear. The only thing that matters is that the sprockets stay the same size. In fact, that's a good idea. The front axles are the hard ones to get to. If you have trouble with the middle or rear axle then you can replace them later without too much work.

Why would you need to replace the front axles with newer style ones if the stock ones are ok? Just askin cause i have an older argo than your & mine seems fine with stock parts. I have a T1A400 2 cylinder motor produceing 40 or more horse power & it handles it with no issues. Where did you find a New 20HP motor for $200. That motor is about 1500 new.
    Last edited by jasonk; 10-03-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: forgot

The entior front end of the argo was full of water from previous owner the old TECUMSEH had holes rusted in the block from the water, and I fear that the front axel is weak do to this. As far as the engine goes I have a buddy who tests small engines for MTD and they just toss them out, somehow they always end up in his truck.

Ok good to hear Mike I was not sure if the tires would do any damage, they are to new to replace for swimmers one day I hope too. That was my exact thought on the front axle it was submerged in water for some years I fear that has weakened the front axle. So I not to beat a dead horse are their any good fourms on the site that may help me with this swap.

I am going a head with the front axel swop I am just a little confused on where to begine. I found a machine shop that will make it for me. Any info will help a lot or direct me to a good fourm that is already writen . Do I make two short axels like is presently their now or one big one and do I go with splined or lets face it I am so confused it is not even funny I need help.

i would like to help but i am confused too lol, first off i cant see in your pics if you have 3 lug axles with 5 lug adapters which do you have? 2nd the front axles are longer than the rears so make two like you have now, dont worry about splined axles just run what you have now it wont be worth the upgrade for ya
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

Thanks for the helps here is what I have the 5 lug adapters its the only thing the dumb dumb before me did right , my other problem is I have to cut the axels to get them out tryed 2 cans of pbr and about 2 weeks many hammers trying to get them out I have to spend money anyways so I am trying to find the best fix

ok if you have adapters you have 1 inch axles i would upgrade to the 1 1/4, use a nice air chisel with a blunt end to work them back and forth or cut them in sections with a grinder
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

If you're worried about rust damaging the axles due to the sitting in water for so long theres got to be rust damage to the frame for sure. Those old frames are nothing but 1/8 inch folded sheet metal. I'd inspect the frame 100% before doing anything else to it. Anyways i dont know if it will help but heres a link to my rebuild i did about a year ago. Might give you some ideas if nothing else
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...m-rebuild.html

I also saw another post you made about belt size. Since i moved moved my engine forward i needed a custom belt. what i did was measure the diameter of the secondary clutch and the center distance between the 2 clutches and gave those dimensions to richards relics who found me the perfect belt to fit.
    Last edited by sieg; 10-10-2011 at 10:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread