1990 vanguard 6x6 overheating maybe?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1990 vanguard 6x6 overheating maybe?

1990 vanguard 6x6 overheating maybe?

Hey guys/gals I've got a 1990 argo vanguard 6x6 , a couple days in a row I was using it in high 20 deg c temps and after 25 to 30 minutes or use on rough terrain a lot of which was in low gear it shut down! the first time I figured it may be fuel as the level was pretty low but the next day I had a full tank and still the same, I left it were she stopped as it was only a 2 min walk from my cabin and the next day she started right up and ran fine for the 15 mins or so it took me to get out, do you think it's maybe an overheating issue? It's a fan cooled machine! I used it all week leading up to it in much cooler temps and it was fine!

If it's air cooled I'd pull the shrouds and check for mice nests or wasps nests or anything else that would restrict flow under the tins. If that doesn't help maybe your coil is getting ready to go.
    DanW

Another item to check is your fuel lines and filter. Once my Argo sucked up some crud in the tank and plugged the feeder pipe inside the tank. This caused similar symptoms you described.

Quote Originally Posted by MXZ500 View Post
    Another item to check is your fuel lines and filter. Once my Argo sucked up some crud in the tank and plugged the feeder pipe inside the tank. This caused similar symptoms you described.
    This is a good place to start. I had to disassemble and clean out the vacuum operated fuel pump on my Vanguard because it had a bunch of crud in it that was keeping the vanes in it from working properly. It also managed to push some of the crud through and into the carb inlet which would completely block it up after 10-15 minutes of riding, until I finally pulled apart and cleaned the pump. Hasn't been an issue since.

Also if it's the Vanguard engine, I'm fairly certain that they have a pressure switch that kills ignition spark if the oil pressure drops, so make sure you keep an eye on the oil level.

+ Reply to Thread