Kohler 400 problems...help...help!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kohler 400 problems...help...help!

I'll get a compression test on it before the end of the week. I'm gonna have to pull the motor, so I'll also try spraying the seals. I've had several people tell me now that it is seals or rings so I will replace both. Hopefully that will finish it up, considering I've replaced just about everything else in this motor. Thanks. I'll post by the end of the week what I found the problem was and the comp readings.
    Argo+2stroke Kohler=Failure
    I hate math

Ok. I think I found out my problem. The plugs at the bottom of the crankcase were missing. Compression before replacing them...80 and 85. Compression after replacing...130 and 125 psi. I think that made the difference. I'll try o start it this weekend.
    I hate math

That's a huge difference. It should start right up now. Let us know

I think you found the problem too. They are the little brass threaded plugs i believe. They are where you can drain out the crankcase of fuel/oil. Amazing the difference in comp. The piston & rings sound great! A compression & vacume leak, both ideas like we talked about. You are probably thrilled it was something so simple?? Is the motor still in it? Talk to ya soon. JasonK.

Yeah, it was those little plugs that are below the coils. Major difference in compression. I still have the engine out of it..mainly because I thought I had to replace the seals and stuff. I'm going to drop it in tomorrow and try to start. I was wondering why it was leaking so much fuel.....it was going straight through this plug holes. Glad it didnt cost me any more money. I'll post my results tomorrow. Thanks
    I hate math

Cool, i can't wait to hear it's runnin great!!

Ok. Well, I can't get the thing to start. I had a pro mechanic look at it, and he told me that it was the Tilly carb I have on it. He told me to get dual Mikuni carbs, or get another engine. I don't think that these two cycle kohlers even ran good when they first came out. I'm gonna get a new engine. I live in the Flint area of Michigan. Anyone have a Rotax or Kohler 440 engine for sale? Thanks
    I hate math

I had the exact same problem with my Kohler!! my crank seal was shot and i had low compression both. I ended up buying new clyenders, heads, pistons, and rings for about $200 and in the process was able to bump up to 440cc. However it was still flooding and the windings were bad on mine. It still floods but not as bad. I just bought a Mikuni 34 carb for it and need to put it on sometime this week. I dont like the tilly one bit.

Heres the manual check pg 6
    Tillotson HL Series Service Manual

Heres the hr manual check pg 9
    http://www.tillotson.ie/docs/techinfo_HR_US.pdf
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 03-28-2012 at 08:54 PM.

I bought a tilly kit for my 73 skidoo olympique and had the same problem. First I thought I screwed up the welsh plugs but I later realized that one of the jets looked a little different. I think it was the air screw. Look at the profile of the new and old ones and you may find it a bit different at the tip. I put the old one in and no leaks!! Started and runs fine. Does anyone have a decent crank for the kohler 400? I need one. pm me if you can help.

+ Reply to Thread