Need new engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need new engine

Need new engine

I have an 86 argo with a 18hp kohler engine that seems real tired. Have had it in the shop 3 times but it still is hard starting when cold. Seems like the engine is just worn out and would like to put a new engine in. Could anyone tell me what engine I could replace it with? Looking for something to drop right in with out alot of changing around. Any help or direction would be appreciated. A lot of info on this site but need to narrow what I need to do.
    Thanks

anything other than one of the same, is going to require some mods. a Briggs Vanguard, or a Honda would both make great choices, but will require some work on the exhaust, wiring, and throttle/ choke hookups
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I know there will have to be some modifactions. Just would like one where the clutch and mounting would line up. I heard vanguard would work good.

why not replace it with another Kohler , they are pretty nuch bullett proof and you wont have to make any mods .

Are you sure its tired and not just needing some other work? I would try a compression test. If its low maybe look into replacing the rings at least. It could be as simple as head gaskets or maybe valves too though. Not sure about your 18 kohler but a kohler m18 rings are around $60/70 bucks on ebay last I looked. If its not knocking then dont worry about the lower end. Of coarse measuring it all out and making sure its ok wouldnt be a bad idea either.

I thought about rebuilding it, but figured with a new motor it would just work better. it is a magnum 18. This argo was on a farm its whole life and has alot of hours on it. I think i was the first to really do some maintence on it. It works real good when i can get it started. I just wanted to know where to get a new motor and what kind so there aren't too many head aches swapping it out.

If you decide to install a new engine you will need to do a little research and make sure you find an engine that idles at a low RPM ( 1100 - 1300 ) also you need to make sure that the engine can produce enough torque when under load.

Thats why i was asking on here. I know motor replacements have been done.Someone must of replaced a motor and know what works. Should i just contact an engine place and see if they can match a serial number of the old one?

Boy, that Kohler 18 HP is a fantastic engine, and a very efficient cold starter. I've got it in my Magnum.
    If your engine, once started and hot is running good and strong on demand no smoke, I would maybe change mecanic or dealer. Check for fuel piping leaks and fuel pump that's the tricky part. Being first hand with the engine you must go back to all original settings , new spark plugs, clean carb, good wiring. I've runned mine with synthetic oil for years, no problemo!

Forgot, the air filter (new?) and the choke linkage. With the air filter off check how your choke fonction, this engine needs to be choked properly for quick start but without overdoing it. Can you easely restart the engine when you kill it?

+ Reply to Thread