Noob's experience

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noob's experience

Wink Noob's experience

Hi guys

so I took ownership of an Avenger on Saturday (one of very few Argo's here in South Africa) after studying these machines for some time. Its a 2006 model in camo, with ROPS, custom canvas canopy covering over the ROPS, bilge pump, and outboard motor mount.

Managed to take it for its first outing yesterday and man was I impressed with the performance of this machine! it was unstoppable! And to see the looks on peoples faces going through mud pools and climbing river banks like no other vehicle could.

Also briefly took it into the river to see how she floats, but this turned out to be a bit of an thriller, as the current in the river pushed us down river where there wasn't that much place to climb out due to the steep river banks. Also found the Argo a bit tippy (suppose the ROPS had its role to play here) and didn't realize I was in low range instead of high when I tried to swim her back to a safe landing spot. Once in High range I managed to work my way back up the current to a safe spot....but it was a bit nerve wrecking when I though we might just go down river....We where two adults and one teenager in the 8x8. Felts a bit tippy and we had to shift around and keep rather still to balance the weight in the machine.

Something else I noticed was that if we rocked the argo forward and backwards it seemed that we made better ground in the water....not sure why yet.

But overall I am seriously impressed. Thinking of removing the ROPS as I would like to use the machine for Bass fishing in some dams around here, and think it will be less tippy. Anyone have experience with the ROPS in deep water?

Secondly when at hich speeds and RPM in high range there was a sound coming from the engine bay / front floor which made random "zzzzz....zzzzz.zzzzzzzzzzzzz.........zzzzzzz" sounds. Tried to see what it could be but couldn't really determine. Same sound came at full taps in the deep while swimming back up the current. The machine only has 50hrs on the clock. Any idea what this sound might be? Chains that need tensioned perhaps?

Will take it out again this weekend. This time perhaps without the ROPS to see what difference it makes.

Whitepuff, the ROPS will definitely make a difference in the stability. On top of that, the first time you take any AATV into the water there is always an uneasy feeling. The more you get used to the machine, the more you will start to trust it and realize that, even though you felt like you had to stay still and not move for fear of turning over, you were really in no danger at all and can often lean a lot with the machine. The gains in speed you noticed when rocking back and forth probably comes from the rear tire being pushed out of the water when you leaned to one side. The rear tires do a lot of the propelling and where they sit in relation to the water level has a lot to do with how fast the tires move you.

I think removing the ROPS will really make a big difference but if you survived the first adventure, you should be fine here on out.

Hi Whitepuff, glad to hear you like the Argo.

My guess on the zzzzzz.......zzzzzzzzzzz......zzzzzzzz noise is that you have a chain that is contacting the underside of your floorpan. Very common actually in the older machines and still happens ocasionally with the newer ones. Have a look and see if you can lift your chains and get the tensioner to ratchet up to the next tooth on the adjuster.

For the tippy part, Yes the ROPS system makes them more tippy in the water, but they still feel tippy without the ROPS.

Rocking the machine forward and back lifts the rear tires up a little higher in the water, and MOST of your propulsion comes from the back set of tires.

Any pics of your new baby?

RD

DAMN MIKE, YOU BEAT ME AGAIN

Thanks for the response guys. Will check out the tensioners and the idler chain tensions - might be something to ply with. As for the ROPS...can't make up my mind as to take it off or leave it. I got a nice canvas top with it so it helps keeping the hot South African sun at bay, otherwise I would get off with a serious sun tan.... Bu I think I shold remove it just for a test and see what she does in the water, and then decide. Would have been nice to get a simple convertible top that's not that heavy to make it tippy...but suppose you can't have your bread buttered on both sides...

Hi there,

Just thought I'll give some feedback:

So took the argo for a couple more swims and getting quite used to the tippy feeling. Also added a 54lb trolling motor to the back so it makes a huge difference in steering response and water speed. Also found that there is no use in gunning the revs up in the water as the wheels just cavitate and by only running above idle one gets almost the sam speed in the water. But the trolling motor is fantastic for my bass fishing excursions

I also checked the chains for the zzzzzzz... noises and found excessive play on the idler chains ( close to 2" deflection on both) I so tightened them to the 3mm as stated in the manual. Also checked out the main chains and these where extremely tight, almost zero deflection! This didn't seem to be right either. So we slackened the chain tensioners a bit till we had about 1" - 2" play / deflection on all the drive chains. One of the front chains where so badly under tension that we had to take out the masterlink to be able to slacken the tensioners. Couldn't find anything in the manual or forum on what the optimum play should be but I recon 1"-2" should be enough? Any advice on this?

after adjusting your chains did the zzzzzzz go away??
    my 2000 bigfoot's trany makes a wicked high speed howl, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong, it just seems to be an argo qrirk.

i wear earplugs for long drives

Nope - pouring with rain today. Will take it out for a spin and a swim tomorrow. Also removed the ROPS today, so we'll see how she swims and floats without it. Will report back.

Wow! What a difference! The ROPS will stay off till winter ( have a fully closing canopy fitting the ROPs). Avenger is way more stable in the water without the ROPS. This machine is unbelievable. Cannot believe there is so few of them in South Africa being such a versatile vehicle. As for the chain zzzzzz- noises, still there...perhaps its just a matter of me getting use to them. There is a definite improvement though, a bit softer than before. Will check the main chains over the weekend to see if they have tensioned again
    Last edited by whitepuff; 01-03-2012 at 04:42 AM.

Glad you like and are enjoying the machine.. The ROPS makes it rather top heavy and now you have the comparison.

For the little bit I have been in the water, I seem to get more speed going in reverse with the back end a bit higher, but the motor that you have should cover the currents in the rivers.. I know the feeling of getting swept down stream - underestimated the flow of the creek, and came out about 150 yards down stream of a 40 yard wide creek...

Have fun and ride safe!!

+ Reply to Thread