Drive Chains Big Foot

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drive Chains Big Foot

Drive Chains Big Foot

Does any one have an opinion on the maximum amount of slack in front dive chains is acceptable. The machine I have (Big Foot) does not have tensioners for the front drive chains, and the service / operator manuals are mute of the subject. I would appreciate any ideas or experience in adjusting these chains for tension. Thanks.

I have a magnum. there are none for mine. I assume yours is the same

Have you had to remove links to tension these chains? Any experience? How much slop should be allowed would you guess, before these chains should be servived?

It say's in my manual that with the wheels off the ground on the side you are checking and by grabbing the chain between the sprockets at mid point on the top side you should not have more than 2.5" of slack. Hope I explained that well enough.

Do you have a picture. Also check your front bearings to ensure they have not went and are the cause of the problem. If the front bearings are bad they will allow for slack in the front chains. A picture will help to determine slack status.

The slack in the front drive chains is 1 3/8 " to 1 1/2", The drive chains are about 12" long, sprocket to sprocket. This seems to me excessive. What do you think? I have included a few photos of the left side chains. Excuse the dirt and grease. Cleanup is in progress. If the front bearing is the problem, how do tell without taking the whole thing apart? Thanks for your replies and input.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    The slack in the front drive chains is 1 3/8 " to 1 1/2", The drive chains are about 12" long, sprocket to sprocket. This seems to me excessive. What do you think? I have included a few photos of the left side chains. Excuse the dirt and grease. Cleanup is in progress. If the front bearing is the problem, how do tell without taking the whole thing apart? Thanks for your replies and input.
    Question One: Change chain. If they are laying on the frame protection plastic and that looks like the case. Buy good chain not the cheap stuff, it may hurt a bit at first but it will pay off in the long run. Diamond is a very good brand and do not use the saphire grade it is Chinese and i don't recomend it. Others use Tsubaki and have great results. U.S. Tsubaki

To check the bearings lift the machine on one side where all wheels are off the ground and lift up on tire. If there is movement your bearings are bad and need replacing. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I assume that the bearing extensions in place at the front end do not compromise or complicate the evaluation of the bearings buy lifting the axel (machine is jacked up and all wheels are removed). There is a slight movement when lifting all the axels, and a very noticeable 3/32" lift (at the wheel nuts) in one of the rear axels. The machine has 250 hrs. Should I be concerned? In a new or refurbished condition, is there absolutely no movement in the axels by lifting them?

Regarding the front drive chain, would removing a half or full link be an option in shorting up the chain slop.

+ Reply to Thread