Outboard engine weight

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Outboard engine weight

Outboard engine weight

Hi Guys,
    I saw lots of conversations with regards of how fast or what is the proper HP for an ARGO mounted Outboard Engine. No one addresses the max weight of this outboard and what is the tub capable of carrying without bending, stressing the plastic or even cracking. Does anyone have an idea of what would the recommended weight of an outboard be? Looks like most people lean to a 10HP max (due to several reasons) and a 10HP usually weighs about 75 lbs... Is this OK, too much, what are the vertical weight limitations on that trailer hitch?

The hitch is through bolted to the frame. Running a 10 hp outboard will not affect the tub.

i found an old 7.5 and mine is on a plate mounted to tub. it does fine for me i too thought i need a 10 but if want to go faster i just take the hovercraft out .

Factory recommends no more than a 10HP. I have a 4-stroke 9.9 Mariner which is about all i want on the back, BUT....you don't need a 9.9 a 7HP will do as well. Even with a long shaft after you reach a certain speed the prop will produce cavitation and slow you back down.

Thank-you guys for the input. I just got a 2 cycle 9.9 hp Force motor. It weighs about 65lbs and from what I understood, the tub is rated for about 100lbs on the bracket... Hope it works... Thanks again...

yep on that cavitation .long shaft on mine she is well in water and it does cav. every once in a bit.

I use a hitch mounted trolling plate so any short shaft will work and ran up to a twenty Merc on it,but fact is 7 to 10 hp is plenty you can only push these things so fast being as they are shaped like a freezer.

Sounds as though the factory bracket is made for a long shaft. I have a 6hp short shaft. A mod will take care of that.

I'm looking for a liquid cooled 2-stroke outboard anyone know of any around 20-30hp under 100lbs. I have a brand new 9hp honda 4stroke, its a dog on my avenger hardly moves it.

You need the "extra long shaft" @27". There is a guy on ebay that sells these 4 strokes. These go deep enough into the water to eliminate ALL cavitation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350477678051...84.m1423.l2649

+ Reply to Thread