Axle Trouble

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Axle Trouble

Axle Trouble

Hi Folks I am looking for some advice from anyone with an opinion or experience. I stared to disassemble the right rear axel of my Big Foot to replace the outer bearing, but I didn’t get very far. The inner bearing is seized to the axel making it impossible to remove the axel from the machine. I have tried hammering the end of the axel, using Kano penetrating oil, and a gear/bearing puller (see pic) all to no avail. If anyone has faced this problem before or can suggest some way to get this bearing loose, I would much appreciate the advice Thanks.
    Attached Images

Make sure all the set screws are out.
    A.bit of heat on the collar does wonders but don't burn anything.
    Tighten the puller and apply a bit of heat and it should pop.
    Don't get it red hot.the bearing will probably need to be replaced.
    Don't hammer the shaft or it could mushroom and make things worse.

I'm with bazoo heat it up it should pop off be sure to keep pressure on your puller

Mitchell my own method requires safety goggles,take a ball pean hammer and bust the bearing by striking it,its hardened and will crack and break off,clear the debris and put the inner race against a piece of steel and whack it,it will crack and come off easy,maybe not for everybody but it works for me every time and takes out some aggression while Iam at it.N.C.T

I had the exact same problem last night on my Conquest, but is was the #2 axle from the front on the right side. Bearing seized on axle, soaked it with BPBlaster. Attached Harbour Freight Gear/Bearing Puller14 Piece Set and got busy on it. Need to oil the threaded rod and with a wrench slowly tightened it down. Take your time and it will come off. I've used it on my Hustler rebuild when I had several seized bearings. Every time I had to use it it got the bearing off but destroyed it in the process.

+1 on the pb blaster,soak it then leave overnight.hit with hammer next day and bruise shin when it comes flying out.

I have been replacing bearings for years. If you are not wanting to save it and cannot get it off. First make sure the screws are out. Then if it do,s not come off the fastest way is with a hammer long drift punch. One good hit on the outer race and it falls apart. Remove the balls. And you should be able to get the axle out and work on it. Thats is about the fastest way. It will not hurt the axle.
    Or you could fight with a puller I would prefer to be the the drivers seat having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    Mitchell my own method requires safety goggles,take a ball pean hammer and bust the bearing by striking it,its hardened and will crack and break off
    I wrap a rag around it first to contain the shrapnel.

So do I. Because it will fly in all directions

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo guy View Post
    I wrap a rag around it first to contain the shrapnel.
    Doh, just got done tearing down my attex and never thought of the rag... got ball bearings and chunks all over the shop. Sometimes it the simple things....

+ Reply to Thread