are half tracks any use

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: are half tracks any use

are half tracks any use

Anyone give me an idea as to the worth of buying a set of half tracks for my Magnum and if so would I fit them over the first two or the last two tyres

You would put them around the 2 center tires. Half tracks work about 80% as good as full tracks, but that depends on where you are riding. Mud/Muskeg/swamp, they are fine, but in the snow they are not much better than just tires. Another option is to track the front 3 tires. That's better than halftracks, but not as good as full tracks.

RD

Thanks RD, they would mainly be for snow, so from what you say, I would probably be better with the full set, trouble is they are mega bucks over here.

you could ask Adair argo if they have a used set

Adair Argo Sales

ask to get the set shipped by sea to your location.

could be cheaper.

or get 4 snowmobile tracks and build your own set for your 8x8 up there.
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

I would not recommend half tracks for snow, they just don't work well enough to make a difference........IMHO

I WOULD recommend something like the member "smog" came up with. Making your own set of tracks out of old Snowmobile Tracks looks to have worked out VERY well for him. Just becarefull how you make the guides, no sharp edges, or you will start to cut tire sidewalls.
    I have a set of rubber tracks that were made out of "Conveyer Belt". They work, but are not wide enough for my snow conditions.

Here are a couple pics of my homemade tracks

RD

EDIT: Looks like smog beat me to it, lol.

there's a lot of info on easy to built snow tracks :

Snow Cat Track Systems - Right Track Systems Inc.

or another set made with 2 ply baler belts and aluminium cross-bars

Last edited by smog; 02-06-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Many thanks to RD and Smog for your input; making up tracks is certainly an option. Obviously we dont get anything like the snow that you guys get, infact this year hardly any, just storm force winds and rain.
    I have read practically all of the threads on tracks on the site and they are very informative,but one thing I have noticed from various vids and pics is the depth that an argo sinks intot the snow, which in some cases must to very near the hard, which I find surprising as the argo is not heavy compared to some machines and I would have thought that the tracks would have equalled out the weight. Maybe this is the type of snow they are operating on ? I base this on having driven a Snow Trac ST4 on snow, where I do not remember the tracks biting so deep. Thanks again for your input.

+ Reply to Thread