Conquest not charging

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Conquest not charging

Quote Originally Posted by Rory_mcw View Post
    The v/m light comes on and sits at 12v till i give it throttle.
    That's pretty normal. It's because we need the low idle low enough to operate the shifter which is a little low for the stator (or alternator).

After around 2 weeks Of fitting the new battery I went to start the machine and it would not turn over.
    Could be a short, or...

The journeys I do are very short. Maybe it is not getting enough of a run to properly charge. I will investigate tomorrow.
    Yes, especially if your journeys are short with a high electrical load - like headlights.

Hi Rory,I have a conquest 20 hp kaw. What your describing is all normal. That brake blower draws alot of current. The stator on the engine is pretty much designed to output at high rpm (these engines are intended to run at or near full throttle, ie; air compressor,generator). A fresh battery should read aprox 13 vdc and charging voltage 14,14.2 right around there. Short hops and extended idling are going to tax the battery. It is not uncommon to see a battery charger hooked up on my argo,I just go by what I last used the machine for.Hope this helps.BTW take the key out,kids have been known to pretend using the blower noise as engine sound,lol.

Joe.

Thanks guys, it's 22:14 here just now over in Scotland. I will hook up the charger, give it a full charge and check with my multi meter.

I don't run my machine at anywhere near full throttle, usually well below half to a quarter.

I am away to hook up my new winch and check all my connections again.

U need an altima battery u can't beat them with a stick

Hi Rory mcw- Most Argos have limited charging ability. There was an alternator kit available from the factory. I feel that part of the problem with machines that idle a lot is the draw from the brake cooling fan which runs at all time when the key is on. Many of us have installed a seperate switch that we turn off when we are not in gear. I often think that I will find time for another run soon but sometimes that doesn,t happen so I plug in a battery minder that plugs into hydro and the argo cigarette lighter . As you know, once a battery has gone dead ,it is never as good as new again. good luck.
    The v/m light comes on and sits at 12v till i give it throttle. After around 2 weeks Of fitting the new battery I went to start the machine and it would not turn over. The journeys I do are very short. Maybe it is not getting enough of a run to properly charge. I will investigate tomorrow.

Please bare with me, my background is mechanical.

Appreciate the help

With the key off, disconnect the fuel shut off solinoid to the carburator. plug it back in and see if it clicks. Somebody might have wired it in direct and it will take about three days to drain the battery.

Slim

Quote Originally Posted by Slimpickin View Post
    With the key off, disconnect the fuel shut off solinoid to the carburator. plug it back in and see if it clicks. Somebody might have wired it in direct and it will take about three days to drain the battery.

Slim
    Dastardly!

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1937 View Post
    could there be a something drawing current while not running? Fan? Radio? Light? Some other accessory?
    You could install a battery switch on the post to disconnect it when not in use

Maybe upgrade to a GM 1 wire alternator where the Argo 40amp alternator kit mounts.

put an alternator on it - you can use the Denso alternator 18504-6220 - same as on the Conquest - small and light -

+ Reply to Thread