New Argo Frontier 650

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Argo Frontier 650

DDA Guest

New Argo Frontier 650

Can anyone tell me honestly about the new argo frontier 650 hd better than the regular 650 or what and please explain the admiral tranny to me please

I've been trying to understand the tranny my self

The nea tranny is a bad cat in low when turning the opposite side turns back 50% in high range I think 10%.way less stress on every thing it take less hp 2 turn the machine

So it will counter rotate like a split shifting t-20

Quote Originally Posted by swamp donkey View Post
    I've been trying to understand the tranny my self

2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

yep

That's Cool man ive been looking at the frontiers where did u get your I would like to test drive one before I made my mind up. I got my max from down in laurel ms but they didn't carry Argo

Both of the transmissions have advantages and disadvantages. When you turn an admiral transmission you slow the inside wheels down 1/3 speed while the outside wheels turn full speed. The advantage here is that you don't have a power loss and you can steer the machine in the mud a keep the drive going to all six wheels (This is a great advantage in bad mud). In low range you can counter rotate which is good for tight turns on trails and certain other conditions.

The bad part about the admiral is the machine doesn't turn as sharp in the woods in high range and the steering will sometimes feel like your not in complete control. The counter rotation is great for certain conditions but it takes a whole lot of power to counter rotate in thick mud and stress's the drive system. The good news is high range works great for almost everything except pulling out stuck machines.

The old style transmission turns sharper but is not as smooth and takes power from the inside wheels and transferes the power to the outside wheels. The good thing about the old system is you can get the lower 3.3 transmission which is low enough to pull stumps if you want to.

If I were going to run the machines on stock 24" tires I would take the Adimral every time. If I was going to run a set of Adair tracks I would take the old style transmission because the tracks make up for any disadvantage in the mud and the low transmission is simple and reliable. The old style transmission is also easier to control in water.

So there you have it-consider where and under what conditions you are driving and how the machine will be used

Dan that's the best explanation I've herd. So i guess people can't say the argos are 3 wheel drive anymore. One step closer to keeping up with the max machines in the mud.

Ok, i just recently(October 2011) bought the 2011 Avenger with the Admiral transmission. Things i noticed that was different.

If you start off from a stand still with the steering turned to it's max in either direction in does not turn as sharp as the 06 Avenger that i had, but if you let the transmission do the work like it is designed to do. Now this is what my unit does. Let the machine move forward and it feels like Power steering and turns almost as well as the 06 as far as the turning radius from the stopped position. Keeping the machine transmission in a rolling state and the transmission will do the work. I used the low range only once to test it out. Other than that I did not need it.

On the trails the transmission which i mostly run in high gear had no problems turning, again it felt like power steering, Note: Very easy to change direction or over correct with one or two people. At the last Busco ride i had at least 4 people most of the time and at other times i had 5. Steering still felt like power steering with no loss of power. The 31HP fuel injection is quiet a jump up in power from the 26 carb and i think it really helps the machine perform at a higher level.

As with any 8 wheeler vs 6 wheeler the trails are easier for the 6, but this is a lot due to the fact that the 8 is longer and some times you have to back up and re-adjust to make the turn due to length not turning ability. I had no problems navigating the tight trails at Busco, if the machine would fit through it, it would go. We all seem to get to the same destination and that is what matters.

This is how my machine performs and i hope this helps. I drove the 06 for 5 years and instantly I could tell a difference. Even on pavement it turns easily.

Now with that said, i am far from any guru on this new machine and i am still in the learning process but i am quiet satisfied with it's performance. If it holds up as well as the 06 Avenger i will be super happy.
    I have had a 03 Conquest, Great machine…….06 Avenger, Great machine and now the 2011 Avenger looking to be equally as good……each time I traded I have had to learn what made each one tick all over again.

Lewis

+ Reply to Thread