Newbe Driver

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbe Driver

Newbe Driver

Just bought a 2000 Conquest. Runs pretty good but seems to be hard to steer.
    I just took it for a ride on a dirt road and it took the whole road plus some to turn.

When I started turning it almost stopped the Argo with full throttle, also getting some chain slap below my feet. Are the Argo's this hard to turn normally, do I need more stick time or does it sound like a problem?

At the moment it is not as much "FUN" as I had hoped.

edit: Rockdoctor - I just watched your videos and yours seems to turn way easier with little stick movement. Mine takes a long pull before it seems to start turning then it, snaps instead of turning easy like yours.
    Last edited by remjax; 02-23-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Give it time. It will come to you. Sometime it takes a little getting use to. When you drive over different terrain it will handle different. Make sure that there is not to much play on your levers. they may need some adjustment. Check brake pads for wear. Check your tensioners and chains for tightness. It takes a little getting use to. Let the machine work for you and do not fight against it to much. As you get more experience it will becomne more FUN.

Enjoy your machine....

Put it in low if u are putting around it will turn better you will get use to it I thought the dame thing now I turn it so dang good now I almost flip it some times lol

There could be a lot of difference in the size of your tires, believe it or not. Take a sewers tape(paper tape measure) and measure around the whole tire, then put the 4 biggest tires in the center of the machine, so the 4 smallest are on the outside. Tire preasure is very important, maybe put a little more in the center 4.

same thing happened to my magnum, I cleaned the faces that the drive belt sits on with brake cleaner and it seems much better, not had it out properly yet tho

All good suggestions, I would second that you check your Brake Pads for wear, and make sure they are not contaminated with oil.
    Another thought is that "Clutching" is important. Both the Condition of your Clutches and the way they are set up.
    Judging against my vids is...........unfair?? My clutches are set up to "Engage" at a slightly higher than normal RPM, They "Upshift" slowly, and "Downshift" fast. I upgraded from the 20hp Kawi to a 27hp Kawi. My Trans has the LOW gearing, and I am running 24" tires.
    My Daughters Conquest has the same Clutching Mods, but that's where the similarities end. Hers has the stock 20hp, it has the Med geared Trans, and it runs the 22" tires (now with Adair Tracks).

Your machine is a 2000, I would suggest that you clean/rebuild your clutches (new springs, at least). I think you should try it (See the difference), and then pull the clutches back apart and install a shim under the Primary Spring, and tighten up the Secondary by 1 or 2 holes. I bet you will be a little more happy with how it responds.

One last thing, there is a bit of a learning curve to driving, give yourself a bit of time (don't start "jerking" the brakes to trurn). When you find your machine labouring to make a turn or climb a hill, back out of the throttle, let your clutches backshift, then lean into it again. This will help alot.

RD

also start rolling straight for a short bit before starting a turn from a stand still. the slower you go the more brake it takes to that side and vise versa, the faster you are going the less brake input to turn the machine. like others have said it takes practice.

Another thing that will do that is high altitude. I know, I live in the Rockies. With my 20hp Kawi it took some finagling to get it to respond the way I wanted it to. Still wish I had 10 more HP !!!

Thanks to all. I have the tech video ordered and will have to dive in to the mechanical
    side of the machine.

Rockdoctor after seeing your Argo answering the steering with little stick moments mine seemed like a bull in the china shop!

+ Reply to Thread