Kawasaki carb questions on 02 conquest

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kawasaki carb questions on 02 conquest

Kawasaki carb questions on 02 conquest

Had to buy a new carburetor for 20 hp. Kawasaki Slap it on runs great until I get to steep incline or decline and it dies . Any idea how to fix this?
    Last edited by Mike; 04-10-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: moved thread to engine forum

What made you decide to replace the carb in the first place?

Old one was shot , was not idling good , getting gas in oil etc...

No expert on conquest carbs but I have had this problem on another machine and it was down to the fuel level in the carb . You may need to check the needle vavle / filter or adjust the flaot level .

Fuel my friend. As many people have experienced the stock fuel pump can't supply fuel at steep inclines.
    Many of us have upgraded and added electric fuel pumps in line supplying a couple psi of fuel. Just be sure to add a line
    Off the carb over flow spout to a can or back to the fuel tank And have it on a safety switch .

Check out RD carb video on this sit It,s first class. It is all to do with the conquest carb. Also make sure the float and your needle valve are set right. I just put in a low psi electric pump [2.5-4 psi] Napa and cleaned the jets in my carb and wow what a dif it made.
    But do check out the video it will give you a good idea of what the carb is like. It,s very simple in deed.

My conquest did the same thing. It drove me nuts. I put on an electric fuel pump, removed and cleaned the carb, and replaced all fuel lines.

It turned out in the end that the carb float had a small hole in it. The float would fill with a little bit of fuel, causing the float to be heavier than it was supposed to be. I removed the old float and weighed it next to a new float, and there was a slight difference in weight. I installed the new float and have not had a problem since. This may be your problem, it may not. Thought you may want to check it though.

Bad pump or plugged filter could be it but I would check the float adjustment.

When warm and idling on the level - if you twist right to WOT does it die? For this carb this would mean that the fuel level is too low or too high in the bowl (probably too low). If the engine keeps right up with your input without hesitation then consider that you have the best tuned float level in all of the land. If it stumbles/hesitates but gets there - even just a bit behind you - then leave it alone and look into fuel delivery. Do keep in mind that if the fuel delivery is really bad, so bad that it can't keep up with the demand of idling, then the fuel level will be low in the bowl no matter the float adjustment - which skews the whole test.

Can I have your old carb? I change elevation fairly frequently and have always sort of dreamed that I would find an extra carb laying in the street one day...

+ Reply to Thread