Loud Bigfoot Drivetrain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Loud Bigfoot Drivetrain

Loud Bigfoot Drivetrain

I am new to the aatv I have always had atv's and thought I would try somethung diffrent for a change.I am a avid hunter and trapper so I thought a aatv would be an asset.I picked up a 1999 bigfoot that is in exc. cond. it only has 150hrs on it.I still am not sure if I like it or not the thing that is bothering me is the very loud winding noise that comes from the drive train and was wondering if there is any solution to this or if there is a problem with the machine. Its only loud when the throttle is wide open and running on govner of the belt drive.Any advice would be apprecated.
    Last edited by Mike; 07-14-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: moved thread from General discussion to the Argo forum and renamed it something more descriptive.

trust me,your not alone.
    if you figure out a way to quiet you transmission down, please let me know how.

the only things i have found that work are to remove the cab, and or wear ear plugs.

does it make the loud noises in high and low gear ?

It's really the only downside. The trays sure wine

A long time ago Gene at Genes Argo sales told me to put a bottle of STP in trans.I've done this to every Argo I have ever owned.Not one trans.problem or failure,may be only a tad quieter,but anything at all helps.

i have tried several types of oils/additives it doesn't make any noticeable difference. (noise wise)

a low geared transmission is going to whine at high speed (high or low range) no matter what oil your going to put in it.

mine is soo bad i am actually thinking about changing the transmission .

Make sure your chains are not too tight. Use a heavy chain lube that will help quite them down. Make sure your gear case has fresh gear oil, use 90 weight.

Mine is so loud that I'm thinking I should start wearing ear plugs to run it. I've also tried a number of products that are designed to quiet the noise, none work at all.
    The low geared trans is definatly the worst, but also it's the best for my riding style/conditions, so I refuse to change it.

RD

maybe we should start an ear plug thread!!

Maybe ODG should redesign a replacement set of gears that are not so loud. I am sure technology has changed in the last 10-15 years. I think i would be interested in that purchase.

+ Reply to Thread