Strapping down an Argo to a trailer

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Strapping down an Argo to a trailer

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    so I went to princess auto and bought 4 heavy bolt on tie down points.i can now cross tie that sumbitch real good.it aint going anywhere.
    Hey Plott
    In that last pic, it looks like you have one strap running from the machine, through a couple Trailer Tie Downs, and then back to the machine. (Can't see it all, I'm just assuming)
    Anyway, I was stopped by the local RCMP one day and was told that I HAD to use at least 4 straps to tie a machine down (Machine=4 or more wheels)
    If I'm wrong on how you have that rigged, please disregard message.
    Just thought you should know.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Hey Plott
    In that last pic, it looks like you have one strap running from the machine, through a couple Trailer Tie Downs, and then back to the machine. (Can't see it all, I'm just assuming)
    Anyway, I was stopped by the local RCMP one day and was told that I HAD to use at least 4 straps to tie a machine down (Machine=4 or more wheels)
    If I'm wrong on how you have that rigged, please disregard message.
    Just thought you should know.

RD
    you are correct RD.the front strap runs through tie downs then to the argo tie down points on both sides of the machine.was the best way to get proper tention so the machine wont move.will check with the MTO and see what they call for.thanks man.

Alaska has the same regulations for tie`n down a machine. 4 separate holding devises.
    Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    you are correct RD.the front strap runs through tie downs then to the argo tie down points on both sides of the machine.was the best way to get proper tention so the machine wont move.will check with the MTO and see what they call for.thanks man.

When you apply force in more than 1 direction it amplifies itself to the sling/strap similar to when you have to downrate a lifting sling when using a 2-part bridle hitch.

I have broken 2 x 500 lb straps. Never again.

I moved up to 1000 lb straps with 1600 (or was it 3300?) lb breaking strength. I am much more comfortable now with this, and have had great results. I strap 2 at the back from the roll bar, one over the hood just in front of the windshield, and another forward from winch bracket to trailer tongue.

On my conquest I use 2x 3300 lbs straps on the front axles and a single 10k lbs strap with a shackle on the tow hitch. It doesn't move.

Folks need to keep in mind that objects tend to drift to the back of a trailer except for the sudden stops. We might be better off with two nylon chokers and shackles on the front around the axles and two ratchet straps on the back axles.

Here in Ohio, they don't care how things are strapped down. As long as it don't fall off. Then you get a ticket. I know it was said you shouldn't. But I use the winch for front tie down and a strap over a hook I have mounts in the rear hitch. That's it. But I don't haul it far.

I use 2 tip ties and 1 bungee cord to load up my big trailer with my max IV, Attex, and camper. Stuff only moved around when I start, stop, and turn. Other than that it's solid.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    I use 2 tip ties and 1 bungee cord to load up my big trailer with my max IV, Attex, and camper. Stuff only moved around when I start, stop, and turn. Other than that it's solid.

beagle man

Folks need to keep in mind that objects tend to drift to the back of a trailer except for the sudden stops. We might be better off with two nylon chokers and shackles on the front around the axles and two ratchet straps on the back axles.

Sorry to be so pedantic, but you want Polyester chokes, not Nylon (we do lifting gear and load restraint straps)

Hey rodp, you are correct and I think the Polyester is effected less by the uv's from the sun.

+ Reply to Thread