Argo creeps forward at idle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Argo creeps forward at idle

Argo creeps forward at idle

Our last run out to the swamp I had a great time running the Adair tracks. I went to park her back in the shed after shutting her down for a bit to cool her off she started and ran fine and seemed to idle down. I am not sure if she is idled to high or what the issue is but if you put her in gear she creeps forward at what seems to be idle or has been up until now ...I have not checked to see if she will do the same in reverse or not , but she will not stay in place if in gear at idle ...Is this an engine idle issue with it to high in that she has or seems to be very hard to idle down and shift at times with out her grinding the gears to engage or is this a clutch issue? With 126 hours on the clock could it need to be slicked up with silicone spray?
    I have picked up a can of silicone spray tonight and earlier today picked up a 808626 adjustable carburetor for the Vanguard 23hp B&S... opinions, thoughts, help please ,,,Thanks
    Bill G.
    Last edited by Mike; 08-18-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: edited title from "Got a problem...here" to something more descriptive

Most of the problems you are describing can be caused by a slightly too high idle.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

What and how do you fix such a problem ? ....or do i go ahead and try the adjustable carb B&S # 808626 ...hopefully it is not just fuel mix adjustable but idle also?

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    There should be an idle adjust screw on the butterfly. They will sometimes vibrate out of adjustment, a drop of blue locktite on the threads should keep this from happening. DON"T use red locktite, unless you like the thought of using the required torch that close to your carb.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Did not have much time today to figure out what is going on but it seems like the idle RPM's are to high and what really has me wondering is that the choke does not seem to be working now , it starts hard and after it is running it has no effect on how it idles / runs ... hope to get a chance to see what is going on ,, but I do know this Vanguard 23HP has the non adjustable carburetor .... Factory sealed via the EPA ....

The 23 B&S has a tendency to surge when the valves need adjustment, mine did the same thing, then I did a valve adjustment and things went back to normal. The other issue is that the Adair tracks require less power to move forward than the tires do, which may be part of what you are experiencing.

She has a fair rate of creep and the B&S does not seem or sound to be surging ... looks / sounds like a high rpm idle but again I/we ( my much more knowledgeable friend have not had time to really check / verify things like like how or if the throttle assembly is working correctly or the choke for that matter ...we already know she runs a bit to rich ...and up until I gave in and cut the hood and added vents she ran hot and still does but not as bad ...The only other piece to this is on our last run in the swamp was run in low gear due to my current driving ability or lack there of ...I will added this also to the check list ...Thank You Noel...All so far ..

We finally got a chance to see what was/is going on with the Argo ... Thanks Brushcutter found that screw you told me about .. it was not what I was expecting but so figured it out ... we think we have it idled / adjusted the best we can and it no longer creeps forward but we felt that it is/was not shifting very well ...One thing we did not do was check the transmission fluid condition when we first got it we checked only the level .... Today we took a good second look and found it did not look / smell very good ... so we have changed it ... I hope that the very green ,,,brown ,,,,gray... light weight oil (?) does not mean we have a major problem and that the correct weight oil will improve the shifting ...It almost looks like the oil got to hot ....time will tell ...

Take a look at your throttle cable. Something as simple as rust preventing it from moving freely could cause the high idle condition. I only mention this because I just had to replace the cable and had the same problem because I had it adjusted too tight. Sorry if this is "too obvious" but I'm new at this and that was my first lesson.

dt

Ok ...short trip but I am at my wits end .. it idles good and does not creep ... let her warm up and the idle increases and the creep comes back ...What am I dealing with ...engine issue ,,, clutch issue , worn belt at 126 hours on the clock or ????????? we do hear a cling from the front clutch (smaller clutch) at idle and if left on long enough the choke on full will let the engine cough a bit as it runs ..a bit rough but still runs ...

HELP !

+ Reply to Thread