I've had my Vanguard 6x6 for 8 years, but I have always pampered it, kept it in the garage, and maintained it by the book. And it does not have that many hours on it. Last Wednesday a friend of mine and I were crossing a swampy area to go to our duck blinds to repair them before the season opening. Two hundred yards from the road and the trailer, as we were going over a very small log the Argo stopped. The left wheels were in the air and turned, but the right wheels were not moving, even when I revved the engine up. I looked at the idler chain sprocket (the upper one, the one that transfers torque to the wheels) on the right side, but it was not moving. We winched the Argo onto even terrain, and with all wheels on the ground only the left ones had traction. The right wheels were not locked, but were not pulling, either. We managed to return to the road using only the left wheels: to steer to the left we had first to turn right and describe an almost complete circle until the front end pointed in the right direction. Getting the Argo back on the trailer took several tries. Well, I went back home and put the Argo in the garage, trailer and all. Yesterday I needed to get the trailer out of the garage, and when I drove the Argo off the trailer I noticed that the right wheels were working again. I drove the Argo in tight and fast circles in front of the house, going counterclockwise, and obviously the right wheels were pulling hard.
Can anybody figure out what happened? I certainly do not dare to leave the beaten path with my Argo the way I used to, fearing that the same thing might occur. Unfortunately I don't have an Argo dealer where I live (Kodiak Island), and my mechanic is good (he works on all kinds of vehicles, boats, ATV's) but doesn't have much experience with this kind of vehicle, though he's worked on mine a few times to tighten idler chains, change oil and filter, mount the winch, etc.
I would appreciate any advice I can get.
Thank you.