Setting up Tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Setting up Tracks

Question Setting up Tracks

Hello All. I have a 200 Bigfoot, and I am in the process of setting it up with 18" super tracks that I got from an 8 wheel version of Argo. It came with a set of ice cleats attached. It seems to me that the tracks are quite heavy with all that metal attached. Has anyone have any experience or opinion with operating a Bigfoot (18hp) with cleated super tracks. Is there enough power for a flat run in soft snow?

Also, in shortening the tracks for the 6 wheel Bigfoot, and had to cut through a track link connecting rod (rusted to centre bushing) for removal. I intend to replace with ordinary 1/4" drill rod. The original part had a recess for the bushing set screw. Does anyone think it would be risky to use drill rod without the recess cut for the set screw?

The super tracks require an axel extension kit with a casting and 5 stud extensions bolts. The dealer wants $23.99 for each casting and $5.29 ea (total of 30) for the 2 1/2 stud extension. I can accept the casting cost, but I think the stud cost is a bit rich. Has anyone sourced stud extensions a little cheaper?

Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions using C clamps to close the track ends for final attachment.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Drill rod is overkill stock is cold roll steel. I had a bunch is stainless that I made into pins. The center grove isn't needed. Get your extensions from Adair Argo ,all welded steel and not such a pain as the stock studs and castings. Also cheaper. With tires deflated I use carpenter squeeze clamps to pull together. There are lots of people on this site with lots of Argo track experience. Hope this helps a bit

Ive got a set of 18"supers on my argo with a 16hp vanguard and high ratio tranny. It pulls fine in everything I go threw without any issues. (mud, swim, snow swamp) when I run in low gear. On the lake or an open field i'll put it in high but really it likes to be in low gear. Your 18 should not have any problems.

I use Ratchet Straps to pull my Track Ends together. Works for any type of track that I've tried so far.
    Your Machine should have no problem turning the Tracks, but a few modifications to the Clutches would help it out. Shim the Primary Clutch Spring a bit, and tighten the Spring in the Secondary a bit.

RD

To install the tracks I put a ratchet strap on the ground and lay the tracks out on the driveway on top of it. Drive the machine to roughly the center.. Deflate the tires and feed the tracks up and over the tires and make them meet. Tighten the ratchet strap and put the pin through.. Repeat for the other side. Reinflate the tries - in my case to 3, 4, 4, and 5 psi from front to back...

+ Reply to Thread