You Argo guys think your Avengers are so tough (National Geographic)?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: You Argo guys think your Avengers are so tough (National Geographic)?

You Argo guys think your Avengers are so tough (National Geographic)?

How about Avenger vs......

THE WOOLY MAMMOTH!?!

We got the April 2013 issue of National Geographic in the mail yesterday, and I was reading through this neat article on resurrecting extinct species. Pretty interesting article overall, but this artist's illustration was really cool.

The Tundra-colored Avenger is really one of my favorite looking machines, and the artist got the Carlisles spot-on in my opinion. I didn't get a close-up, but there's tons of detail in the drawing. There's no "Argo" logo anywhere, but I think that brand recognition goes an awful long way for such a unique machine.

Last edited by hydromike; 03-26-2013 at 09:09 AM.

They are so tough that they run with herd of mammoths. That's a very cool rendering. Tha ms for sharing.

Cool stuff.

Each summer we go out to search for mammoth bones, teeth ans tusks, but this summer will be our first time using our, uh, er... Avenger.
    I'm glad its "mammoth tough."

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    Cool stuff.

Each summer we go out to search for mammoth bones, teeth ans tusks, but this summer will be our first time using our, uh, er... Avenger.
    I'm glad its "mammoth tough."
    That sounds like a blast. Where do you live? I'm in Ohio & I don't know of anything like that around here.

We live in a small town traditionally known as Qiqiqtaugruq, but is called Kotzebue, in northwest Alaska, at the end of the Baldwin Peninsula. We drive our atv's down the side, along the beach, and look for mud slides. The mammoth bones and such are found in the mud. It isn't easy, nor do we find them all the time, but it is enjoyable.
    Hopefully, our Avenger will be useful for doing this.
    BTW, I'm an Inupaiq Eskimo ivory carver, which is why we look for the ivory material. Unfortunately I don't speak my own language, but this tradition of carving still lives in me. I've taught several nephews to carve as well. Sometimes they follow us, the wife and I, down the coast.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 03-26-2013 at 05:58 PM.

That makes for a cool rendering. Here is the image on National Geographic's site: Bringing Extinct Species Back to Life - Photo Gallery and here is the article if anyone was interested like I was: Bringing Extinct Species Back to Life - Pictures, More From National Geographic Magazine

Thank you linkmaster! NatGeo.com was blocked at the orifice.

I think I read somewhere "Damn he's fast" and I must admit he is, the wife showed me this yesterday also but Hydro wins again. There must be a print out there somewhere that could be gotten.

This is the artist... I don't know if he or NatGeo owns the print rights...

RaĂșl MartĂ*n: paleontological illustration

Here's a link to HIS print.... http://www.raul-martin.net/raulmarti...ocene_park.htm Give him a call!

Argo in national geographic

In April 2013 issue of national geographic there is an awesome picture of a pair of 8x8 Argos surrounded by wolly mammoths. The issue is about reviving extinct species and as I was reading I came across page 42. It shows wildlife tourists in a future park setting viewing once extinct animals. Kind of like a friendly Jurassic park. Of course the show the ultimate aatv as the mode of transport to enjoy the sights.

Did anyone else catch this? What do you think, would you go to a park to see once extinct wildlife? Should we even be attempting to clone once extinct animals? Can an Argo out run an angry wolly mammoth?

I would post a photo of this but I don't have it uploaded to any server.
    Last edited by Mike; 04-14-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic

+ Reply to Thread