Clogged Radiator?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clogged Radiator?

Clogged Radiator?

So I'm in the process of installing the alternator kit. I pulled the top radiator hose off and let it drain. Then popped the cap to take a look and it was still full to the top. It was late by this time so I just set it off to the side leaving the bottom hose still connected. To me this looks like it might be clogged. I plan to remove it and take it to a radiator shop if need be. But looking for some advice before...
    2003 Argo Conquest
    Wasilla, Alaska

remove it yourself, fill it with strong mix of CLR and cap off hose ends and cap, let soak for several hours and rinse thoroughly.

Repeat if needed.

USE ONLY STEAM DISTILLED water and coolant in system no tap water, that will help eliminate any issue with buildup.

Or just by premixed coolant.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

I disagree with that advice.

I can see how the CLR will remove at least some of the stuff clogging the radiator, but I think the method breaks down at the repeat if needed step. I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference between a half clogged radiator and a 100% good radiator. You'll see that the water flows down and you'll peer through the neck at the tops of the tubes and it will look good, but if some of your tubes are plugged an inch down from the top you'll never know it and you won't have the full cooling capacity available.

A real radiator shop will remove the top and bottom of the radiator, and then run a metal rod from top to bottom ensuring each tube is clear before putting it back together.

Depending on labor rates where you are, they may just replace the core with a new one, or sell you a whole new radiator. Either option is still cheaper than damage to the engine from overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by phabib View Post
    I disagree with that advice.

I can see how the CLR will remove at least some of the stuff clogging the radiator, but I think the method breaks down at the repeat if needed step. I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference between a half clogged radiator and a 100% good radiator. You'll see that the water flows down and you'll peer through the neck at the tops of the tubes and it will look good, but if some of your tubes are plugged an inch down from the top you'll never know it and you won't have the full cooling capacity available.

A real radiator shop will remove the top and bottom of the radiator, and then run a metal rod from top to bottom ensuring each tube is clear before putting it back together.

Depending on labor rates where you are, they may just replace the core with a new one, or sell you a whole new radiator. Either option is still cheaper than damage to the engine from overheating.
    Really for the piece of mind, this is what I do when I have radiator problems. Not sure where your from, but here it doesn't really cost all that much around here to get it done. Then you don't have to worry about it for a long while.

Re-reading your post, I wonder if you really have a problem at all. With the bottom hose still connected, where is the water supposed to go? If it doesn't drain with the bottom hose removed, then you've got a problem.

Re-reading your post, I wonder if you really have a problem at all. With the bottom hose still connected, where is the water supposed to go? If it doesn't drain with the bottom hose removed, then you've got a problem.
    Yeah what he said.

Did you remove the drain plug from the radiator?
    Will only get about half a gallon.

I plan on removing the drain plug tonight and the lower radiator hose. I may have jumped to conclusions but I figured since the top hose is below the cap and fluid drained from the top cap and and a little more from me tipping it. I figured The fluid would be below the top hose not filled to the neck of the cap.
    2003 Argo Conquest
    Wasilla, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    I plan on removing the drain plug tonight and the lower radiator hose. I may have jumped to conclusions but I figured since the top hose is below the cap and fluid drained from the top cap and and a little more from me tipping it. I figured The fluid would be below the top hose not filled to the neck of the cap.
    The way a radiator is set up, fluid wouldn't necessarily come out of the top hose. The fluid in a radiator is pushed more than it just flows through it. That and the top is your inlet the bottom hose is your outlet. And you can drain the radiator through the drain plug, pull it out, and still have some fluid in it. You will have to tilt it to the outlet side to drain what's left in it. If you look at a cutaway of a radiator it would make since. It doesn't hurt to flush your rad, but if your machine wasn't running a
    little hot, I wouldn't mess with it. Just my opinion.

I pulled it out last night and ran water through it in the sink. I had a bit of green slime come out looks like corrosion from the brass fittings. Other than that there is some scale on the inside but looks to be ok. Going to run a flush when I get it back in.
    2003 Argo Conquest
    Wasilla, Alaska

+ Reply to Thread