Tilt trailer or ramp/gate? Noob needs some solid advise

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tilt trailer or ramp/gate? Noob needs some solid advise

Tilt trailer or ramp/gate? Noob needs some solid advise

Not having owned a trailer I have been looking and pricing. Found that the tilt beds are 200-300 cheaper (in my area). Any advantages or drawbacks to either one? My thought is with a tilt trailer the constant slamming from my Swamp Fox may not be a good idea.....but I just don't know. Any advise is most appreciated.

Morgan

I have had both and prefer the ramp....plus my baby cant fall off the back...I also prefer the trailer be made of round tube rather than angle iron...hope this helps.

I have a 2 place snowmobile tilt trailer, I use both the tilt with no issues and have a set of aluminum 1000 lb rated ramps that I use to load and unload as needed. If I was to do it over again I would have gotten a 4 place tilt trailer both for carry of extra's like a snow plow and/or my Argo trailer but better still my friends 6 wheeler to other riding areas .
    Good luck in what ever your choice will be and Happy trails...
    bg

When I owned a two place snowmobile trailer, I would set my ramps up on the side of it so that once on the trailer my max took up minimal space and I had room to put my max trailer on the back or what ever else I was loading up. Also kept most of the weight forward. Trailer seemed to ride smoother.

Both trailer types work fine as long as you buy enough trailer. I you buy a trailer rated for 1000 lbs that weighs 300 that only leaves you with 700 lbs before maxing it out. I prefer at least a trailer rated for 3000 lbs.
    As far as tilt or gate drawbacks, with a tilt trailer you will need to get you weight either side of the pivot point to get it to tilt so if buy chance the machine breaks down you will have to push it up and over pivot point to get it loaded, ramp gates are nice but do decrease fuel mileage as the mesh gate adds drag tying to force the air though the gate (more so when empty).

All good points being made. Has anyone had a bad experience regarding one type or the other? Even though the tilt is cheaper I am leaning a bit towards the gate. Will prolly buy one in the next couple days.

I have used both over the years and I prefer, and own, two ramp trailers.

Here are some observations of mine.
    trailers with ramps make it easier to control vehicles without good brakes or that are unable to move on their own.
    Trailers with tall fold up ramp/gate are convenient for making sure nothing falls off the back, but have a lot of wind drag and hurt you mileage more.
    Tilt trailers have the property of reminding people that don't tow regularly to make sure there is tongue weight. You cant lock it down until you are far enough forward. Some people think putting the vehicle is the center of the trailer is good enough. But if you have a rear engine machine like a MAX, Bobcat, air cooled VW, or Raider snowmobile putting it where it looks good is a bad thing.
    -----\
    OOO-(
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level, then beat you to death with stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by famvburg View Post
    I have used both over the years and I prefer, and own, two ramp trailers.
    Same here.

I have friends that swear by there tilt trailers. Myself, I hate them. I've owned a couple and had troubles with them. It was before I had my Conquest. But mowers and quads would slip going up when the floor was wet. They come down hard when loading. You can't see if one of the kids have ran by your truck and under them. Your load is not protected by side panels or a tailgate if a strap where to break or fail due to human error. But that's just my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread