Advice on Lubing Chain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Lubing Chain

Advice on Lubing Chain

Hello - I am looking for advice for lubing the chain. Interested in brand for spray lube for the chains. Thanks for your advice... Have 14 HDI 750 that I need to upkeep...

I usually keep a can of spray chain oil I. The Argo, in case I want to lube while on a trip. Chain Gang is a decent one. When servicing at home, I use Mobil Millcot 220, paint it on the chains with paint brush. Cheap if you buy it bulk in 5gal pails.

RD

I have a 2013 hdi and use a 1 inch paint brush with 80 weight synthetic gear oil...this has worked for me for many years... I never never use any type of sticky spray chain lube.

I use Dupont Chainsaver. Get it at Walmart. It is a teflon/molybdenum dry wax lube. I like it because sometimes ride in the sandhills of Nebraska. The fine silty sand there will goober up anything with exposed oil/grease. It's hell on combine/bailer bearings and chains.

Some folks don't like wax lubes and I hope they come on and tell us why (I don't remember) but I've had no problems yet. It's pretty easy for me to spray a bit on the chains every so often. It also doesn't make a huge mess all over inside the machine.

Every now and then we remove the chains and clean them in a solvent bubbler (kerosene), we then vacuum lube them with soft grease or thick oil (ep 140). That way they're spotless clean and well lubed.

I searched up a couple of older threads on this. Seems like a lot of great options.

Rod what is vacuum lubing. I mean I can visualize the concept but cant imaging throwing my chains in my FoodSaver vacuum sealer.

Sol, don't think the good woman would appreciate you using that for lubing chains

We made the luber and bubbler ages ago for various items, all out of an old propane cylinder (don't know the size but about 2 ft high.)

Get an old cylinder, remove the valve and fill with soapy water for a few days. Then cut the top off, about 5 or 6 inches down. The bubbler uses the bottom bit, all you do is weld some brackets about 2 or 3 inches from the bottom and drop a piece of good weldmesh / perforated steel on the brackets. get an aquarium pump and run the air pipes down the inside and under the perforated steel. Fill with kerosene to the desired level and turn the air pump on. leave items to be cleaned in for a few days to remove all crud. we usually rinse in a tank of thinners.

The vacuum tank uses the top part of the cylinder. Weld the hole up where the valve was and run a length of rubber edge trim around the cut edge. drill a hole just down from the cut edge and weld an air spigot in it (this is where the vacuum pipe goes).

Fill to desired level with thick oil, drop chains in, cover top with suitable material ( we use a piece of 1/4" unbreakable acrylic (Lexan ?)) connect up vacuum pipe and turn pump on. When bubbles stop appearing from chain links turn pump off and let air back in the tank. You can see the oil level drop as it goes into the links / rollers.
    We usually leave it a couple of minutes to allow good penetration.

Genius.... Industrial strength smarts.

I buy good quality Dirt Bike or 4 wheeler spray on chain lube. The non sticky stuff. Costs are high, but it works great.

Hi
    NON O RING
    needs a lube that will penetrate into the pins
    I have used ROC OIL spray
    It sprays thin until all the propellant/solvent evaporates .Being thin helps it penetrate
    Leaves a residue that semi dries to a only slightly sticky residue .
    After 4-6 applications it leaves a very tacky residue [build up ]

I lube chains every time or every second time I use my 6x6

NB I have tried other spray s and the ROC OIL has the least amount of fling off .The chain cannot be lubed well if u find it all over the body ha ha .
    As u would expect the wax sprays are thick and have little penetrating qualities

tomo

n

+ Reply to Thread