New Argo project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Argo project

New Argo project

I am about to embark on an Argo rebuild project. But first a little background; 2004 (I think) Argo Bigfoot. Bough it used, ran it for a bit then had an issue with one of the axles. Tore everything apart and then the house flooded. I live on a River and the Argo was purchased mostly to get to and from the house in times of a flood. Water ended up getting in the tub and with the flood, the Argo was the least of the worries. The tub ended up sitting for an extended period of time and (in case you haven't guessed) rust took over and ruined everything. Chains, axles, bearings, sprockets and bolts... all seized and rusted. I had previously pulled the engine/transmission so it was unaffected. I have finally gotten back to this project. The plan is to basically rebuild the entire Argo. Pull everything (and I mean everything) apart, remove the frame, have everything sandblasted and then refinished and finally rebuild and put it all back together. Most of the moving parts, axles, chains, tensioners, gears, ect are going to have to be purchased new as the old ones are beyond salvage.

With the flood last week and having to kayak to and from the house, it is time to get this Argo put back together and use it for it's intended purpose. I'm a little overwhelmed and probably a little over my head so any help, tips, advise, info... whatever really is greatly appreciated! I'll get some pictures up tomorrow in the daylight.

Welcome to 6x6 world and congratulations and on the purchase. Bigfoots are one of my favorites but never owned one. An Avenger is what we bought the other year but sold it last fall.
    I usually bought parts from Argo Adventure | Argo Atv | Argo Parts.
    Good luck on the rebuild.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Wow, sorry about the bad luck.
    The best advice I can give is to sharpen a pencil and start listing all the new parts you will need. Add up ALL the costs of new parts and services (sandblasting, paint/powder coat, etc.) and see how close you end up to just buying a good running machine. Finding used parts can be tough, and take some time, but would most likely make the difference between saving this machine and parting it out. My guess is that it will be cheaper to rebuild this one than to buy another, but not by much. Now consider what you could sell the motor and trans for, along with other good parts.....plus your labor in rebuilding this one, and not being sure of what you are doing.....
    Of course I can't see your machine to determine the total damage, so this is only a guess.

Where are you located? This often makes a difference on how hard it is to find used stuff.

Here's some pictures as promised. This is where I am right now.

How do you get these guys out. That are how the frame attaches to the tub. They are pretty rusted so I'm not sure if they are rivets that need to be drilled out or bolts that are rusted and probably need to be drilled out anyway.

Oh, I'm in Tampa Bay, Florida
    Last edited by 90zxdriver; 10-06-2014 at 02:28 AM.

Frame doesn't look too bad. Rivets have to be ground off, I use a whiz wheel cutting the bell near the flat part they'll generally pop and the inner piece gets driven in with a punch. You'll have to use #10 screws with nuts and fender washers to reattach.

The pictures don't look so bad after all...are you sure you can't save the sprockets? The axles(last 2) may have to be cut for removal, but then with some heat and a press, you probably could save the sprockets. The frame looks to be solid too, I've seen worse that hasn't been submerged for a long period of time.
    Good luck with it.

Sorry for your misfortune. Its still not that bad. I have had alot worse conditions to work with. At least the engine and tranny are safe. It sucks to loose your worldly possesions. GOOD LUCK

HEADS UP watch for mold in flooded house it gets into your lungs its BAD. ONCE IN YOU HAVE IT. ITS FOR LIFE I would gut everything in that house that got wet PROPER respirator required. THIS happened to me

If you're referring to the rivet that holds the skid plate to the tub / frame it's either an Avdel or Huck bolt (actually they're rivets, not bolts, they're just called bolts ? And it's the same company now) They're used a lot in truck body building. We just put a pair of bolt cutters lengthways on to them and it splits the collar off. You may have to tap the remnants of the collar off but that's simple.
    Reason for use ? They don't vibrate loose and they're very quick to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffery9076 View Post
    HEADS UP watch for mold in flooded house it gets into your lungs its BAD. ONCE IN YOU HAVE IT. ITS FOR LIFE I would gut everything in that house that got wet PROPER respirator required. THIS happened to me
    No worries with the house and mold here. The living quarters are built above the 100 year flood mark and are elevated. Under the house is all garage and built with concrete block. The house is designed so when the river floods, the garage floods and as the water recedes, the garage drains. A little bleach and a pressure to clean all the mud up and were good as new. The only issue when the river comes over the banks is getting to and from the house as you can't drive down the road or driveway... Thus the Argo.

+ Reply to Thread