Broke thru ice now have engine problems

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broke thru ice now have engine problems

Broke thru ice now have engine problems

After working on a new trail on our property with our Argo 04 bigfoot with adair pro tracks and cleats we decided to take the frozen river back home to save some time as the light was fading with temps around -15c and ended up breaking through the ice.

Long story short, we couldn't get out but luckily the local fire chief was driving by and spotted us from a nearby road thanks to our bright led lightbar bobbing around in the river. Managed to winch out with his help and limped home with limited brakes as there was water up to the top of the foot pan -came in when I climbed on hood to retrieve whinch line.

Drained machine once we got back to the shop and filled gas tank up machine seemed to be running fine although we noticed a few backfires when we were in the river which is unusual for the machine. Got her inside and left her for the night in unheated shop.

Next morning she started fine but died within a minute which isn't unusual when it's very cold out and I'm not finessing the throttle. Next I lifted the machine off the ground so I could oil chains with tracks spinning and tried to start it but it wouldn't start.

Lots of sputtering and flames out the carb but won't start...here's what it sounds like

Fuel filter seems to have very little gas in it...checked fuel line and gas seems to flow. Had to leave for the city but on the drive back I had the thought that perhaps water got in fuel form the gas tank vent or the vent hole is iced over as machine was sitting quite low in water especially when winched up onto ice. That could explain the flames and backfiring..

Any ideas or help would be appreciated....

Oh and stay off the rivers at this time of year

Tempted to say valve issue, bent a push rod in sept. on Lindsay's 16 and ran but badly with backfires.
    If valves seem good could also be sheared timing key, putting engine out of time.

Have you checked the oil for water or overfull condition since dunking?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I'd say pull the plugs and make sure no water was in the motor. Your doing everything else and it cant hurt to verify one more thing is ok.

It only takes one big drop of water in carb to make it run lousy. Pull the top off carb and look in bowl for water sitting in bottom. Once soil of air cleaner is off just 4 screws in top of carb. If you find water in carb it's also in the tank. At least it didn't sink and fill everything up. I just hate standing on the seat with water up to my waist.

Sounds like the ignition system is wet and it's cross-firing. Just like the old days with cap and rotor engines that got caught in deep tidal waters in NJ. Water freezing in the fuel lines could also be causing a problem.

may not hurt to add some sea foam to the gas. i think it also takes care of any water in the tank. johnboy va.

Thanks for the ideas guys...oil was a little full but just changed it last week and suspect I overfilled it a bit. Will check plugs and carb...at this point I"m suspecting ice or blockage in fuel vent or lines/fuel filter. Engine looks dry...I don't think water made it up that high but you never know with it sloshing around in the tub.

Have to wait for the weekend to get back up to the farm....

Well thought I provide an update...drained the gas and vacuum pumped out the last bit through the fuel line, changed the fuel filter and put new plugs in and she fired up no problem. I think I had a frozen fuel line as gas wasn't getting to fuel filter before I drained everything.

+ Reply to Thread