New Argo owner

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Argo owner

New Argo owner

Hey everyone,
    I just became a proud new Argo owner today. I bought a complete 79 6x6 with a newer vanguard engine, a winch, and a 2hp Elgin kicker. I didn't expect all the finger pointing and the "Hey buddy, does that thing go in water?" I guess they're not to most common atvs.
    I have a couple of repairs to do but I think I'm going to tear it right down to do a good clean and familiarize myself with the components. One small puncture in the front slope that I can see and I believe the pin in the trans shift lever has broke since the shifter is completely limp and won't engage at all. I also noticed that I have deep v style clutches but the belt is like a timing belt style flat tooth belt...? I've seen toothed drive clutches in pics.
    I've been doing some reading on your site and will do more but I may have some questions.
    Thanks for your time and the site.

Welcome to the forum and to the world of amphibious ATVs. The belt you have should work fine even though the clutches are smooth. Hope you have fun with your Argo.

Oh that's good know, thanks. The Argo was a driver until the trans quit engaging but if there's a correct belt or a correct clutch for my belt I'm open to ideas. I bought it from a family friend so I do have some recent history on it.
    Are the plugs at the back specific to this application or is it a common boat plug size. Both plugs went missing during storage.
    And are the ignitions like a forklift (universal key) or specific to the unit?... The key is probably where the plugs are lol
    Thanks again

Welcome Nartissimus, the plugs are 5/8 boat plugs just get the live well style, the key was specific though some forklifts may have used them. If it has a universal style key that may be wrong. The belt is a cogged v belt like a snowmobile.
    Some pics will help answer all your questions.
    Good luck with it.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Hey
    Thought I'd give an update to this point.
    I've torn the argo down to the lower tub with frame and axles left. Not sure if I mentioned before but I had no fwd or rev in the trans (limp shifter) so I wanted to service everything as I got the the trans. Turns out, just as I expected, the shift pin is broken. Now my issue is the driven clutch is seized onto the input shaft of the trans and I can't get it to budge. I can't properly repair the shift pin unless I remove that shaft from the housing, grrrr. Any ideas on how to remove the clutch without doing damage? Soaking in Fluid Film but the shaft is 5"? In the clutch... Or is there a way to do the more modern shift fork onto my shifter arm?
    Also I would like to remove the frame from the tub but I've read horror stories about breaking the axle collars loose to remove the axles. Any experience out there on that?
    On the good news side I did fire the Vanguard and it runs great even thou it was half full of water lol and the drive clutch seems to work well. Again it is stuck on the output shaft but I managed to take it apart enough to lube be clean it.
    Ignition seems to be worn just enough that it turns smoothly with a small flathead so happy about that.
    Gonna try to get some pictures posted but I've never been good at it on forums.
    Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread