From Briggs to Kohler EFI conversion

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: From Briggs to Kohler EFI conversion

Hybrid View

From Briggs to Kohler EFI conversion

After contacting the tech dept. at ODG,in reguards to this, sounds like they have nothing in the works,and no plans for a conversion "kit" or any instruction for doing this. This is not suprising,as they are out to sell new units.
    Anything can be done, however,but the conversion will not be an "easy" one.
    According to ODG, first the engine mounting platform would have to be changed(no suprise there),also a new wiring harrness would be needed,and also a new muffler, just to name a few. Also, there could be hood clearance issues with the older models.
    Soooo..... in a nutshell, does NOT sound like a project that would be neither easy or worth while.
    The only consolation, is that there will be used efi units available" eventually" for those who just can't go new.

Always a pile of little things to deal with on conversions, Switching from Magneto to 12v feed electronic ignition, re routing and or size of the new exhaust. Clutching, belt length, oil filter/cooler location etc

All Ya gotta do is...

how much taller is the efi compared to a 23hp briggs??

If it's too tall you could always cut out the original hood and install a hood scoop to add clearance.

[QUOTE=Nubs;184285]Always a pile of little things to deal with on conversions, Switching from Magneto to 12v feed electronic ignition, re routing and or size of the new exhaust. Clutching, belt length, oil filter/cooler location etc.

Or get a new machine....

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post

Or get a new machine....
    LOL!! Sounds like my quadding friends EVERY time I reach for the toolbox.

OUCH they aint cheap...we are still in winter mode my money tree has not blossomed yet....

I'll be running my 2014 for a number of years I'm afraid.

Hey Junkman, I will tell you that the 23 B&S in the bigfoot sits just under the hood frame for height and the muffler is a little taller than that. That is the reason why I extended the muffler exhaust sheild out and into the exhaust duct. I will say this concerning the 23 and heat issue, when the motor is running and you put your hand down near the air filter box you can feel the air being dranw in from around the engine. I can see why the warm engine compartment could be a performance issue. So far I have only been plowing but have run about 9 hours and no issues, of course it is cold out. This past Fall I was testing the motor with the tranny in neutral and the motor revving high and the hood got very hot, like it did with the 18 hp motor. I installed two small fans in the exhaust duct close to the muffler that draw .28 amp each, ran the same test and the hood was cool like anywhere else on the body. I'm not saying I solved the issue and will be looking to see how it all works out in the heat of the summer. Just a heads up.

Pre Muffler

+ Reply to Thread