Which Bearings To Get...HD, UHMW?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Bearings To Get...HD, UHMW?

Which Bearings To Get...HD, UHMW?

Hi, been away for awhile. Had an old Hustler 900, got rid of that project. Just picked up a 2000 Argo Conquest 8x8. It needs some TLC, but way less than the Hustler did. I've read about everything on here I can find about bearings, but I still can't make up my mind.

The Argo has wheel extensions and plastic tracks.

It needs some new bearings. The UHMW bearings look neat, any feedback on how they are holding up? I was thinking of stacking a UHMW bearing and a stock bearing together. On my Hustler I stacked two stock bearings, with coupling nuts between them. Never got a chance to run them though.http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...will-work.html

I looked at the Argo HD bearings, they look nice.

If you were replacing bearings what would you go with? I don't want to break the bank, but I'd like a setup stronger than stock.

Thanks

Kevin. Stop by and see me I have a couple uhmw bearings I got from Adair. I was going to seal them and make them greasable. I have a set installed as bearing cages on my MaxII. Mark

I think the UHMW spacer block + HD outer bearing is a skookum set-up. We've tried 1 and even 2 stacked on middle axles just to test. No doubt they'll provide additional support like a bearing cage, and they also give your axle "backup" support in the event an outer bearing failure. They share holes with the bearing flange, and the axle fits snugly into a center hole. The axle really can't move, even if the outer bearing was to turn to slop. In fact, a guy might not even know his outer bearings were bad with the UHMW spacer block in place. The UHMW block is a flat surface, so a 1/4" spacer plate (like adair's HD bearing adapter kit) is needed to adapt the HD bearing carrier. But, I think it's a slam dunk. It's just an extra gasket or 2 and some longer bolts. Hope that helps, here's another pic.
    Attached Images

Thanks Mark, I'll be in touch when I get back in town.

Thanks for the pictures Buzz, looks good!

[QUOTE=Buzz;186213]The axle really can't move, even if the outer bearing was to turn to slop. In fact, a guy might not even know his outer bearings were bad with the UHMW spacer block in place.

Yep

+ Reply to Thread