Strapping down an Argo to a trailer

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Strapping down an Argo to a trailer

Strapping down an Argo to a trailer

hi guys,

I searched the forum and couldn't really find an answer, and didn't want to hi-jack BigMerv's tread on the trailers. What is the best way to strap a argo down on a trailer? I have an Avenger 8x8 and I use 3" webbing straps, with a strap one strap on each wheel on the two front wheels and two back wheels. I am afraid however, due to the avenger's design with the front and back wheels slightly raised form the rest, that this might put to much strain on the axles and bearings while trailoring. I tried to move the straps to the middle wheels but find to little space there to use the ratchet. I don't have a winch on the argo either. Thought of using the trailer hitch as a center anchor point at the rear. The previous owner used to strap it down form the hand railings. I prefer the wheels however. Any thoughts or ideas?

Hello whitepuff,in my opinion,what you are doing sounds sufficient. I wouldn't worry too much about the middle axle thing,tires are soft and should deflect enough.You can always air them down if concerned also. I secure my vehicles to the trailer the same way,axles,not over the body.Unless it would sit for long periods (weeks,months) under tension on the trailer,I wouldn't be too concerned.

Joe.

I have a MaxIV and built a winch plate for the front with a clevice on the bottom, and changed the rear hitch to a 2" recessed design. It allows me to strap the front and back and pull down and out on it. Works pretty well for me.

I have however thought about making or buying a set of these. If I could get them in a place (on the trainler) to use on the Max or the Scag mower that would be awesome!
    http://www.junglejimsap.com/displayItem.php?pkey=16

On my Avenger, I use the receiver hitch on the rear and the tow loops on the front. Nothing on the wheels or upper body.

When hauling any 6x6 or 8x8 AATV I run a strap over all the axles and hook front and rear on the sides of the trailer. Seems to keep them in place and does not distort the body.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

The way the dealer showed me was to take a strap over top of the front axle, under the bottom, then over the other one on the front, then to sthe sides of the trailer.. Same in the back.. Towed mine like that for 5 years with no issues so far.. The new ones have a tie down hook factory mounted on each of the corners at the axles...Not sure if they are after market-able?

For my Conquest, I have a clevis on the trailer hitch and strap through the clevis. On the front I run a wide strap across the winch plate. Snug enough to hold it but not so much that it pulls the front down. I have the winch support from the frame, that bolts to the winch plate. I am looking to copy the newer factory tow hooks and mount those to the 4 corners.

I strap to the Hitch Reciever on the back and the winch Fairleed bracket on the front.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
    ... The new ones have a tie down hook factory mounted on each of the corners at the axles...Not sure if they are after market-able?
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Anyone perhaps have a pick of the new tie down hooks? might be something I'll be able to fabricate locally. In the mean time I'm fooling aournd with some ideas based on the above comments. Like the trailer hitch receiver idea. on point quick and simple. just need to figure out how to do the front as I don't have a winch or winch plate.....yet

I just did a 800mile round trip up to Eagle AK and back with 200+miles on dirt roads. I took the winch and wrapped it around the cross member on the trailer tongue. and one strap across the back wrapped around the argos trailer hitch.
    2003 Argo Conquest
    Wasilla, Alaska

+ Reply to Thread