magnum vs frontier

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: magnum vs frontier

magnum vs frontier

me and my dad are thinking of selling my 1993 magnum 8 next spring and getting the new frontier 2016 efi. the argo is starting to have a string of problems with it and is getting costly(electrical,body sag,chains etc) are the new 2016 frontier efi 8 worth the money or should i stay with old reliable??

In my opinion the new models are well worth the money. Get the rear axle extensions and skid plates and you will have a very reliable vehicle that if maintained will last for many years.

It is difficult to compare a 23 year old machine to a brand new, more ergonomic unit with the latest technology. I have no experience with the new generation of frontier but have spent many hours as a passenger in a 2008 frontier 8x8 650 with the 18" argo rubber tracks. compared to my 90 magnum 8x8 with the 18" plastic super tracks, it is definitely a big step up in my honest opinion. We spend 90% of the time in low range. My magnum and conquest make allot of gear noise in low range due to the straight cut gears. The new transmissions are much quieter and do not have that teeth clenching gear grind when shifting if you try to shift at a slightly higher idle. best bet would be for you and your dad to try one if this is possible. This will make it much easier to make a decision. there are many upgrades you can do to a magnum to improve ergonomics and improve reliability. I added 1" inner bearings, rear bearing extenssions, and modified the under seat cross member to eliminate the body sag. Many members on this site have done a major overhaul on old neglected beat up machines and ended up with top notch, reliable, and great looking aatv but at the end of the day its hard to beat a brand new ride.
    P.S. x2 on the bearing extenssions and skid plate.

Dave.

ok thanks what about the brake fan? and is it possible to get 25 by 12 tires instead of the smaller ones?

is the brake fan a must or??

Brake cooling fans are a must. Any open differential argo "steering" transmission requires brake disc cooling. I installed a switch for the cooling fan on my conquest. I forgot to turn it on a few times and was quickly reminded by the all so familiar smell of burning brake material. If you are doing allot of manoeuvring , it does not take long to overheat the braking system

ok thanks anymore options that are a must when buying an argo?

Argo Options

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    ok thanks anymore options that are a must when buying an argo?
    Brake cooling fans. When argo introduced the 6x6 Frontier around 2005 it had slotted brake discs and no brake cooling fans. 6x6 Frontiers have never offered brake cooling fans since to my knowledge. However when Argo introduced the new Admiral tranny in the Avengers and 6 wheel Frontiers overheating became a problem in warmer climates and here in Ontario in the summer. Argo introduced an add on hood scoop which helped..Then built on hood scoops became stock on all Frontiers and Avengers. Now Argo offer a hood fan which draws air up out of the engine bay when turned on. This option and the new heavy duty drive belt seem to be the way to go. As mentioned by others a skid plate and rear axle extension will make an 8 wheel Frontier a great machine. If I have any of the above facts wrong I hope some of the experts on this site will correct me.

ok so 2016 frontier 8 by 8 with brake cooling fan, skid plate and bearing extensions. how much am i looking at? and also convetible top.

also i will not be running tracks what so ever and wont be using in deep water alot either

+ Reply to Thread