Bent axle replacement on an HDI (front passanger side)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bent axle replacement on an HDI (front passanger side)

Bent axle replacement on an HDI (front passanger side)

After looking at a few threads that all involve bearing changes with axle removal I'm wondering if the same process can be used to remove the axle and install an new one without changing the bearings (remove the axle and slide the new one right in). Its the first one I've bent, and I'd like to replace it myself (no shop or garage, just a gravel back alley).

The service manual is showing a different process using an arbor press.

you could..if the new style bearing was facing with the set screws "out". But, being as they typically face "in" from the factory, it means that you have to remove the outer bearing flange as well because you can't access the outer bearing set screw that you'd need to loosen if you wanted to leave the bearing in place...to slide the axle right out.
    The old style flange only fits together with the outer bearing as I described, and some people choose to leave the set screws out (which has pluses and minuses), but does allow you to slide the axle out without removing the old style flange if the set screws are not used...so long as you also remove set screws on the sprockets and inner bearing, as well as the thrust bolt at the end of the axle.
    The new HD style bearing normally comes from the factory with the set screws "in", although they can be mounted with the set screws "out", which if done that way, makes it possible to simply loosen/remove them (as well as remove set screws from sprockets, inner bearing, and again remove thrust bolt) and slide or tap the axle right out without removing the outer flange.
    So, if your bearings are factory installed, you won't be able to do it without removing the outer flange bolts because the bearing itself has the set screws "in" and won't allow the axle to slide out...the flange has to come out too to allow the bearing to come out.
    Sometimes bent axles are hard to slide through the inner race anyway...it just depends.
    You may have better luck bringing the axle, outer flange, and outer bearing as a unit...over to the vise.
    And consider installing the HD bearing with the set screws "out" when you re-install. It will allow you to do just what you want.

That saves me a lot of headache.... thanks!

The front sprockets float onthe axle so no set screw there. There may be setscrews in the inner bearing race or not. I've seen them missing since about 2013 models. Other than laying on your head it isn't real bad job. I also reccomend turning outer bearing around to make it possible to lock the set screws after tightening the inner end bolt. I do slide the new axles in and mark the placement of one setscrew and mill or grind a small flat like the axle has already. Get new cork gaskets as they may tear when pulling the outer bearing retainer.

I'll get the parts ordered and give it a go here once work slows down a bit. Looking forward to the head stands, lol.

how did you manage to bend it sard?

Clipped a tree with my tire while skidding through a right turn in deep snow, it pushed the sidewall of the tire in an caught on the rim. No damage to the rim (other than the wood between the tire and it), but it bent the axle about an inch.

Got a new axle today, will put it in when its not -14C and snowing.

+ Reply to Thread