starter no engaging

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: starter no engaging

starter no engaging

starter of my 85 ic wont engage on flywheel. starter spins fast enough its spinning the right way but it dont throw itself out on the flywheel.has new brushes!

you need a new starter bendix they wear out. Its important to line them up correctly to the flywheel but its a hard thing to do on the argo. Lots of you tube videos on how to replace it.

it worked last time before i put new briushes in it. i lubes the shaft and it still wont throw out on the gear. can i just buy the bendix?

Crazy question but....is the starter spinning in the right direction?

yes its spinning counter clockwise when look at the back of the starter. when i bench ran the engine months ago i had to put negative on starter and positive for ground after i put new brushes in it. when we first got the Argo we accidentally hooked the battery up wrong and the starter turned backward so we flipped the old brushes upside down and it fixed it until those brushes wore out.i put new brushes in the right way and not upside down.

i know you can buy the briggs vanguard one as a kit. However if its spinning and not throwing it out you may have it installed incorrectly. you should turn the bendix with your hand (the direction the starter turns) and the bendix should move away from the starter.

yes it turns easily and comes by hand as it should. not under power through?

can you bench test it. apply 12 volts to the starter and it should spin out. If it does my guess is its not aligned to the flywheel properly and missing the fly wheel.

+ Reply to Thread