8x8 750 HDI idler shaft and axles

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 8x8 750 HDI idler shaft and axles

8x8 750 HDI idler shaft and axles

So, after replacing the transmission, I found my idler shafts were trashed due to the size difference of the set screw and the slot on the idler shaft. No big deal, I fixed it.

But now my question is... On the front axles, are there suppose to be a C clip and retaining clip holding the sprocket in place?!

Every other sprocket was retained by a clip.

The front has never been changed and I found it odd that the sprocket was just sliding around.

Any help appreciated.

-Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_ash View Post

But now my question is... On the front axles, are there suppose to be a C clip and retaining clip holding the sprocket in place?!

Every other sprocket was retained by a clip.

The front has never been changed and I found it odd that the sprocket was just sliding around.

Any help appreciated.

-Bobby
    I often hear this question, last weekend in fact.
    A little history of the sprocket attachment over the years, first were all welded to axles, next were spiral pin through sprockets, next were keyed sprockets, next were splined sprockets no set screw holes, next and longest running had splined with set screw locating holes, next had snap ring grooves for front axles (short run), then back to previous style and finally the hd's without set screws. My assumption is the self centering ability and NOT seizing on the front axles for servicing ability.

A bush front axle bearing failure wearing tracks in the snow with the sprocket seized to the axle would be impossible ( for instance I have a few small scars from the sprocket exploding while attempting to save said sprocket from a cut off axle in a 50 ton press) leaving both you and Argo stranded ,so I assume argo's plan is let it float.

Personally I don't like it, and generally put the set screw in, as in certain situations the floating will cause a bind and or wear the sprocket and idler shaft prematurely. However I would let it float in either bush or corrosive water situations for service reasons. A quality chain will help keep it self aligned for a while or if you like shaft collars allowing some movement should do the same for alignment and serviceability.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    I often hear this question, last weekend in fact.
    A little history of the sprocket attachment over the years, first were all welded to axles, next were spiral pin through sprockets, next were keyed sprockets, next were splined sprockets no set screw holes, next and longest running had splined with set screw locating holes, next had snap ring grooves for front axles (short run), then back to previous style and finally the hd's without set screws. My assumption is the self centering ability and NOT seizing on the front axles for servicing ability.

A bush front axle bearing failure wearing tracks in the snow with the sprocket seized to the axle would be impossible ( for instance I have a few small scars from the sprocket exploding while attempting to save said sprocket from a cut off axle in a 50 ton press) leaving both you and Argo stranded ,so I assume argo's plan is let it float.

Personally I don't like it, and generally put the set screw in, as in certain situations the floating will cause a bind and or wear the sprocket and idler shaft prematurely. However I would let it float in either bush or corrosive water situations for service reasons. A quality chain will help keep it self aligned for a while or if you like shaft collars allowing some movement should do the same for alignment and serviceability.

So being a splined sprocket on a 2016 750 hdi, would you happen to know if there is suppose to be a snap ring retaining the sprocket? Just like ever other axle? Speaking on the front axles.

I noticed the front axles did not have snap rings holding the sprocket in place and that did not seem right at all. The grooves are there, just not the snap rings.

Check your parts manual as serial number would tell you in parts book.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Hi, it,s been a time I didn't come on the site. I need to change the idler shaft on my avenger 2004 and the disk brake How do I do that. all on the right side sitting in the argo.
    Thank you for your help
    Jack

+ Reply to Thread