want to convert to electric fuel pump on my 74 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: want to convert to electric fuel pump on my 74 6x6

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    A return line from the engine compartment would be most ideal but you can just run the T fitting from near the fuel pump at the rear of the machine into the tank, as long as you splice into the fuel line upstream of the electric pump a few inches you'll be fine.

Has you machine always acted this way or is this a recent problem? I would start by changing out the rubber fuel lines and either replace or service the diaphram vacuum pump if this is something that started recently. Fuel lines deteriorate over time, if they are old and original they may be part of your problem. I also like to add a see through fuel filter just before the carb on everything I own, you would be surprised at the amount of rubber particles I see sometimes.
    Thanks - forgive my ignorance and additional questions but I want to get this right.

The fuel line on the Argo comes out of the tank under the seat and then is tucked under the body until it enters the engine compartment so I can't see where I would put the fuel pump except in the engine compartment. The vacuum pump is, of course, mounted right on the engine and is just downstream of the fuel filter. Would I not need to put this one in a similar spot? I am also confused why you would put the T fitting UPstream of the pump - surely it would be DOWNstream as that is where the pressure would be produced isn't it? (I am interpreting UP as closer to the fuel tank and DOWN as closer to the carb - is this wrong?)

In order to get the fuel back into the fuel tank wouldn't I need to drill a small hole in the tank to put the return hose through?

This behaviour has been on and off for a couple of years. Last year I replaced all the fuel lines and had the carb rebuilt and that seemed to stop it for a while but it is back to its old behaviour again now. I had a new diaphragm fuel pump about 3 years ago. Probably driven about 15 hours since the carb rebuild. Machine has just over 300 hours on it in total.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.
    Last edited by geoargo; 08-11-2016 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Add question on return hose

I'd bet your diaphram pump is dried out again from sitting.

Upstream of the fuel pump means closer to the motor. Where the fuel line comes out of the tank behind the seat is where I cut the line and installed my electric fuel pump on my Vangurad, I also have my battery relocated here as well. I mounted the fuel pump to my battery box so it's just under the back edge of the seat. Eletcric pumps are designed to push fuel, diaphram pumps pull fuel.

Thanks again. So if the pump is pushing fuel rather than pulling it, given that the fuel line comes out of the top of the fuel tank, how does that work?

In order to get the fuel back into the fuel tank from the T fitting return wouldn't I need to drill a small hole in the tank to put the return hose through?

I would assume the backfire going down hill is an exhaust leak.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread