argo engine swap

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: argo engine swap

argo engine swap

Hi everybody im new to the site. I own a 1980 s argo 6x6 with a 16 hp briggs and stratton engine in it. I want to swap this engine to a 700 rotax but im wondering if this is too big of an engine for the running gear or if the 700 will overheat because it is air cooled? Any input at all will greatly be appreciated , thanks everyone!

Rotax 700 Air cooled?
    What engine is this? Twin or tripple? opposed twin?
    What year? Can't think of an Air cooled 700 Rotax.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Are you refering to an ultralight engine ? They are the only 700 I can think of from Rotax ?
    09' ARGO Avenger 750 EFI
    With near every option Argo makes
    and a few they don't

i havent picked the engine up from the guy i bought it from yet but im sure its a twin. He says its a 700 but he could be wrong , he told me its out of a 1980s snowmobile. I tried to google search a 1980s 700 rotax and found nothing and im guessing from the responses on here that there is no such motor. Any ideas what size of rotax engine this could be????????

My guess is that it is a Rotax 670, if it is you probably have around 60-70 hp, maybe more, I can't remember what the hp ratings were back then, however it will be LOTS!! You will need a good rad and fan to keep it cool though. Rotax did not make a 700 until just recently, however they did make the 670 for a long time and I used to have a full Mod one in an ice racing chassis, made around 180 hp. (Normally aspirated) We used to hill climb it in the spring too and had no cooling system to save weight (closed loop) It would blow the antifreeze out at the end of the run while taxiing back to the start line, but it lived forever (as Mod engines go) and we ran her a lot harder than we should have.
    09' ARGO Avenger 750 EFI
    and a few they don't

thanks alot for the information its very helpfull . apparently this engine is air cooled though so i think i will have a hard time cooling it maybe an electric fan running off of a sensor would be an idea? i like the sound of 60-70 hp in my argo though , i hope the running gear will stand up to it.

Hmmmm, you got me if it is 700 AND air cooled, I don;t know of a Rotax like that. Could still be an ultralight engine, if it has dual spark plugs and dual ignition that will tell ya if it's aviation or not, most of those are air cooled. Post some pics when you get it if you can, I would like to see it.
    09' ARGO Avenger 750 EFI
    and a few they don't

Well, an air cooled engine has a fan, driven off a belt from the crankshaft, singles usually have the fan built into the flywheel as in lawnmower engines. If it's a FREE AIR then it relies solely on air flowing over it, and you'll have issues, I wouldn't recommend it. Free Air motors are usually all out race motors (hence no fan to not rob HP) and usually the highest HP for the Displacement/MFG/Time. Is it a Rotax 776? That was a Free Air engine, but older than you're stating.
    If it's fan cooled, you just need a duct directing fresh air to the intake of the fan and/or hot air from the outlet side OUT of the engine compartment. The closer the opening is to the engine, the more efficient your cooling will be (It will recycle less hot air) Directing hot air out also helps power as the hotter air is less dense, less O2, less power. Without knowing the specific engine/HP ratings, it's tough to answer if the Argo will handle it, although I would expect so. But Bear in mind while I'm a big Rotax fan, I know near squat about Argos.
    #1, do you know the year the 670 was introduced? I can't think of a 670 that was pre-90's.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

thanks for the advice i will have to take some pictures of the engine and post them as soon as i get it , i do know that it has a starter on it if that helps at all?

6x6... yeah you're right on the year thing, I am stumped on this engine, will wait for some pics and maybe we can figure it out. I am very curious now !!
    09' ARGO Avenger 750 EFI
    and a few they don't

+ Reply to Thread