Alternator on a magnum?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alternator on a magnum?

Alternator on a magnum?

I'm looking for anyone who has put an alternator on a older Argo like a magnum or conquest etc. Or has personally seen it done. I see an empty pulley on the side of my engine, I took a picture of it and I'm wondering can I just mount a small alternator somewhere and run a belt from that pulley to the alternator? I've seen alternators that have only one wire to the possitive post on the battery & a belt to hook up. Seems simple enough and might solve my charging issues.

image.jpg image.jpg
    Last edited by Kris W; 05-20-2016 at 12:05 AM.
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

ive not done it but it should be very simple. use a GM one wire alt.

A member by the name of classicplug has it done on his magnum

Go to gallery and type in 1990 Argo magnum external alternator! I used this too and think it would work very well but I'm on the edge of selling mine so no need, looking at a 2003 conquest!

That sucks you are gonna sell Curtis... If you lived closer i might have been interested
    Thanks guys for the info !
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"

Ok, to "Clasicplug" wherever you are thank you ! thats awesome & just what i was thinking ! If you compare his pic to mine you can see that the black plastic "shroud" that you see in my pic has been removed to make room for the alt. Is it not needed ? I dont even know its function.. Anyone know if its ok to remove it permanently ? I edited my orginal "thread post" to add his pic to save you guys the trouble of searching the gallery, thanks again guys.

That plastic shroud appears to serve the purpose of providing a cool air intake system for cooling purposes. The flywheel (which is behind your pulley) has fins on it designed to pull air into the engine cowling to aid in cooling. Because AATV's have their engines tucked down into a cubby hole of sorts, it can get pretty hot and thus leave an air cooled engine to try to cool itself with hot air. You will notice some members have fans mounted to their machines. This is to pull the hot air out (or push cool air in). I don't know if removing the shroud will cause a problem. I guess it depends on your climate and driving style.

Keep the shroud for sure, cool air for the motor get sucked in there. You could prbably modify it for te belt to pass through to the alternator depending on where you mount it.

Hi Kris
    There is no lower bracket. Its all mounted on the threaded rod.
    I recently talked to another member about what I did.
    Here is what I said
    "It works great and was easy to install. Its the best thing I have done to my Argo.
    The only issue I ever had with my Argo is when away hunting the battery would drain and there is no power where I go.
    Once I figured out how and where to put the alternator it was fairly quick and easy to do.
    I mounted it higher do to having some water in the tub when hunting when its raining, that way it hopefully stays dry. I have not had a problem with it yet.
    I used a marine alternator and once the engine is revved up it charges until the engine is turned off. I also use a vehicle battery that fits the battery box well.
    I did not have to move anything, I just bolted the alternator in. I used 3/8 threaded rod as that was the bolt size for the hole and ran the rod to each side of the engine access and ran the threaded rod though the angle iron. Leave enough room on the inside of the angle for the bolt to fit on. I put lock washers where I could to keep it tight and it have not come loose in 4-5 years.
    I ran the belt off of the engine pull start pulley, not supposed to do this, but I have not had a problem with it yet. I used a Goodyear belt # 84310. I went to the auto parts store I use and exchanged belts until I got the proper one.
    It is a marine alternator and can be spun in either direction and only needs one wire run to the positive side of the battery. Once the engine is revved up it charges until the engine is shut down. It has a built in voltage regulator"
    This should be a link to more of the pics of what I did argo external alternator - Amphibious ATV Pictures

Sorry for the length and the duplication of anything. It was easier for me to cut and paste, I would have been hours typing it lol
    I think the other pics are in an album titled "1990 Argo external alternator" in case you have not seen them all.

Stu

kris did you end up doing this..... i was sizing it up and i think you can modify air intake to fit with the alternator! also is your magnum charging now or no?

+ Reply to Thread