Bearings are not all the same ???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bearings are not all the same ???

Bearings are not all the same ???

OK, I mentioned this before but forgot about it with everything else I'm doing to the machine. From what I can tell, all of my bearings except for one look the same, with one being different. The different one has a little bolt in the centre of it and the rest of them have no bolt or even a hole for a bolt. . . The one with the bolt is on the right side rear axle and like I said the rest are all the same without...
    First this is how the majority of my bearings look:
    image.jpg

And this is how the odd one looks:
    image.jpg
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

The majority of your bearings have an eccentric locking collar, and that is what should be used for the outers. Many machines use a set screw bearing for the inner. Someone probably had to replace a bearing and just used what they had on hand
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Newer axles use the set screws to hold the bearing race onto the axle shaft and insures that the bearing does not spin on the axle. The bolt with 2 high-carbon washers hold the axle from pulling out of the bearing. On the older axles an eccentric locking collar on the bearing is what holds the axle from spinning on and pulling out of the bearing. To keep the axles from pushing inward the axles are stepped down to 1" diameter. The outer bearing is held to the axle with set screws to keep the bearing race from spinning on the axle.

That axle was probably replaced. The axle is slightly longer to accommodate the step for the 1 inch bearing ( bearing is also wider and mounted reversed from the others), there is probably a rub mark on your floor board from the over length.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    That axle was probably replaced. The axle is slightly longer to accommodate the step for the 1 inch bearing ( bearing is also wider and mounted reversed from the others), there is probably a rub mark on your floor board from the over length.
    Yup, you're right Jim, theres a rub mark.. never even thought about it but that Axel would have to be a little longer. So now I have to keep that in mind if I ever go to do the bearings ... I guess I will have to try and find one different than the rest...ugh...
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

+ Reply to Thread