New with ARGO

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New with ARGO

New with ARGO

Hi, my name is Luis Navarro, Im from Costa RIca

I just bought and ARGO frontier and have some questions.

Can I change the tires? I have seen in youtube some ARGO with ATV tires, is it convenient? Can it float with other tires?
    I have read that in warm conditions the belt has to be replaced frequently, is there any cooling system for it?

What parts I have to buy frequently? I read about the belt, tensioners, chains, what else?

Welcome to the site Luis.

Make sure you keep it greased and the chains lubed. I live in Colorado, USA and what I would call warm conditions does not cause problems for the belt. Warm for you is much different so it may be true for you.

Chains can last quite a while; 200 to 500 hours depending on manufacturer and how well you keep them lubed. When they do wear out, change them, so you don't have to buy sprockets too.

Yes, you can change the tires. Many of us do. There is a forum <click here> specific to tire and track options and you will find quite a bit of conversation about the different tires people have tried. (How well they float, work in mud/sand/snow/etc.) Your options will depend on the performance in the terrain you operate in.

And of course we all love to see pictures of places where Argos go to play.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Welcome to the site Luis.

Make sure you keep it greased and the chains lubed. I live in Colorado, USA and what I would call warm conditions does not cause problems for the belt. Warm for you is much different so it may be true for you.

Chains can last quite a while; 200 to 500 hours depending on manufacturer and how well you keep them lubed. When they do wear out, change them, so you don't have to buy sprockets too.

Yes, you can change the tires. Many of us do. There is a forum <click here> specific to tire and track options and you will find quite a bit of conversation about the different tires people have tried. (How well they float, work in mud/sand/snow/etc.) Your options will depend on the performance in the terrain you operate in.

And of course we all love to see pictures of places where Argos go to play.

Thanks Jhon, our Temo here is max 95F, what you think about it? how often may I lube the chanis?

Keeping with John, "warm" is a very vague term. I'm from Newfoundland Canada and the hottest it gets in these parts is 28 to 30 celsius tops. I have a hood fan on my hdi and the hd belt (it is ribbed on the back as well for extra cooling). This combo really helps eliminate the belt squeal, but I can still get the belt hot if I'm forcing her to make a lot of tight turns in the muck (it's better to let the argo choose the path when it's appropriate).

If you don't want to buy a hood fan, or if it isn't available for your machine (I can't say for certain) then I see a lot of people on youtube running their machine with the hood removed to allow the heat to escape better. Not sure if I would recommend this for a rainy day as I don't like water near wiring or my belt.

Not sure if you have the operator's manual for your machine but if you don't, it says in my book to replace a belt when the top width has worn to 1-1/16" or if cracks, fraying or shredding are apparent.

Argo recommends lubing the chains every 10 hours. This will vary with the quality of lubricant your using as well how clean/dry the inside of your tub is. Clean chains are happy chains. Just make sure they have a good coat of chain lube on them.
    Last edited by grease monkey; 08-23-2016 at 02:25 PM.

95F is pretty typical here as well.

Some people who use their Argos for an industrial purpose buy systems that automatically and constantly (slowly) oil the chains all the time.

I mostly use mine when I am hunting and am in the habit of checking the chains every day but I don't think I lube the chains but every 10 or 20 hours.
    I've never swam mine or had it in a swamp; things are different for those environments.

I seen one of those auto lubricators installed on a unit at my local dealer. I see the convenience of not having to get in there with a can of lube so often but I hate the idea of just dumping oil overboard all the time. I know it's only a slow drip but I would think the amount of oil would build up in the tub over time and then when you either pull the plugs or hit the pump out it goes....

Quote Originally Posted by grease monkey View Post
    I seen one of those auto lubricators installed on a unit at my local dealer. I see the convenience of not having to get in there with a can of lube so often but I hate the idea of just dumping oil overboard all the time. I know it's only a slow drip but I would think the amount of oil would build up in the tub over time and then when you either pull the plugs or hit the pump out it goes....
    Yes, i have seen this first hand,the auto oiler seems to get used "too much" and have seen more than normal oil in the bottom of the unit,which does make a mess.
    Welcome to the site Luis, and congrats on your new ride! If your frontier is a newer one,the hood fan that was mentioned above would be a great addition, as it really displaces the heat, pulling it out of the engine bay,and I recommend one for any air cooled unit.Also, cant beat the HD belt,as also mentioned above,I take the standard belt off, and keep it under the seat, as a spare.Even a standard belt should last a ton of hours under normal wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by foxvalley View Post
    Yes, i have seen this first hand,the auto oiler seems to get used "too much" and have seen more than normal oil in the bottom of the unit,which does make a mess.
    Welcome to the site Luis, and congrats on your new ride! If your frontier is a newer one,the hood fan that was mentioned above would be a great addition, as it really displaces the heat, pulling it out of the engine bay,and I recommend one for any air cooled unit.Also, cant beat the HD belt,as also mentioned above,I take the standard belt off, and keep it under the seat, as a spare.Even a standard belt should last a ton of hours under normal wear and tear.
    Mine id a new one, I will probaably install the fan, thanks

+ Reply to Thread