ARGH !! Not getting fuel all of a sudden... Help please

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ARGH !! Not getting fuel all of a sudden... Help please

Does the carb on the Kohler have a Positive Fuel Shutoff Solinoid Valve?

RD

im not sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Does the carb on the Kohler have a Positive Fuel Shutoff Solinoid Valve?

RD
    Nope

Pop the fuel line off at the carburetor and crank the engine. If there is no fuel coming out of the line take the gas cap off and try again. It is not too uncommon for the vent hole in the gas cap to get plugged and create enough vacuum to stop fuel flow. If that doesn't get it you either have an issue with the pump, filter, or line. Unless you know when the last time the fuel line and filter were replaced I would just go ahead and do them. Ethanol fuel deteriorates rubber line and can cause it to suck shut. Also if the line has started to break down it will clog the filter in a heartbeat. Even if it turns out that you need a pump, it's cheap insurance to have new fuel line and filter on the machine.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Recently had an issue with the same conditions, I too would just go ahead and do all 3 items along with a carb cleaning. The gas cap does need venting unless the fill has the vapor line running to the rear of the lower tub, then the cap is not vented. The vented caps tend to leak some fuel out along the side of the body.

Just a note, there are 2 fuel pumps available so look at the arm configuration.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

OK.... So I have established it's not the fuel filter or the fuel pump, I'm getting fuel pumping out of the fuel pump but not into the carburetor so I assume that means I have to tear the Carburetor apart and clean it. I'm gonna watch a couple videos because I haven't done this in about 20 years... and trust me when it comes to stuff like this, it's not like riding a bicycle... age will cause you to forget s*#t over the
    years...

Edit: do you guys run premium gas? I can't find a consensus on what kind of gas to use. Some guy swear by premium other swear by regular, If ethanol causes breakdown of the lines, should I just switch to premium to prevent this happening in the future? I will say that I tried running premium in The first tank of gas I ever put in it and it didn't seem to run as smooth as it had before. . . So I switched back to regular gas. After I clean the carb I'm going to be replacing the line.
    Edit 2 : also, everything I've been reading online says that clear line goes hard in less than a year and has to be replaced. I don't want to be replacing the line every year so should I just stick with black neoprene then? Or is there another option?
    Last edited by Kris W; 09-13-2016 at 09:42 AM.
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

Quote Originally Posted by Kris W View Post
    OK.... So I have established it's not the fuel filter or the fuel pump, I'm getting fuel pumping out of the fuel pump but not into the carburetor so I assume that means I have to tear the Carburetor apart and clean it. I'm gonna watch a couple videos because I haven't done this in about 20 years... and trust me when it comes to stuff like this, it's not like riding a bicycle... age will cause you to forget s*#t over the
    years...

Edit: do you guys run premium gas? I can't find a consensus on what kind of gas to use. Some guy swear by premium other swear by regular, If ethanol causes breakdown of the lines, should I just switch to premium to prevent this happening in the future? I will say that I tried running premium in The first tank of gas I ever put in it and it didn't seem to run as smooth as it had before. . . So I switched back to regular gas. After I clean the carb I'm going to be replacing the line.
    Edit 2 : also, everything I've been reading online says that clear line goes hard in less than a year and has to be replaced. I don't want to be replacing the line every year so should I just stick with black neoprene then? Or is there another option?
    I would stick with the black line. there is some rated for ethanol fuel.

getting the carb off that thing is the hardest part of a rebuild on it. take a picture of the linkage before removal to make it easier on the other end. those carbs have some fairly large ports. needle and seat stuck or clogged, or main jet clogged are likely the issue. also with it removed, make sure the float floats... although if it didn't you would have the opposite problem as it would never shut.

not sure what fuel was recommended for that engine. I tend to be both cheap and lazy about these things. I run whatever fuel makes the engine happy. If you find something that makes good power, idles and doesn't knock or ping, stick with it.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Hey Kris, I can help you out with your carb if you need or want. I have a large heated ultrasonic cleaner, give me your carb and the kit and I will return it in like new condition within a day.

My dirty Argo Vanguard carb when I picked up the machine (idle issues, hard starting, then flooding...)

Same carburator 30 minutes later ready to go back on the motor.

if you were a little closer to my location I would help you out kris.

Wow thanks Steve, thats very generous of you and it's much appreciated ! I may take you up on that in the future, but first I want to give it the old "college try" and see if I can do it on my own. You know it's one of those vendetta things... LOL
    Thank you as well Plott Hound ! This group is just full of good guys, willing to help !
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"

Can i turn this fuel port out without having any problems from doing it ? I was wondering if I could just spin it out and spray carb cleaner in there and maybe fix it fast and easy? LoL

image.jpg

Thats the port that the fuel line conects to on the side of the carb. I shot carb cleaner in there and there was no change,

Edit: The reason I'm trying to do this quick and easy without removing the carb is because I haven't found / purchased a carb kit with the proper gaskets yet and I'm afraid to take it off until I get one because I don't want to forget where everything goes LOL
    Last edited by Kris W; 09-14-2016 at 10:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread