Front chains...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Front chains...

Front chains...

Quick question for those of you experienced with changing chains, im wrestling with the idea of ordering all my chains from Argo, The front right chain under the battery looks like it would be tough to get at... of all my chains the front are stretched the least, obviously due to their being so small in comparison to the rest... They are tight on the top and sag some below. Is it worth the trouble to change the front two Chains when I do the rest if they are not as bad as the rest? & if I have to change them, what's the best way to get out the one under the battery? Does the plate or "tray" that the battery sits on pull out ?
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

if you are chainging the(front chains) they are easy to remove if worn you dont even need a chain puller.i got two new front chains and they are just too tight for me to put on idk why. the battery tray does not move so just take your time and you will get it!

If your going through all the trouble to change the rest I would do them and you wont have to worry about them. My argo doesn't have the battery in the front so the front chains were not bad to replace.

Hi Kris
    I would suggest buying rolls of chain and breaking it yourself, it will more than likely be better chain, and will cost about half of the price.
    The Battery Trays in my Argo's are removable, although it does not look like it at first glance. Remove the Battery, get your fingers under the battery Tray and pop the bottom up out of the Tray (It's a thin metal plate that just fits into the Tray frame). With the plate out, you can access the 2 bolts that hold the Battery Tray frame in place.
    Your Battery Tray may be different, my machines are Conquests.

RD

i didnt think they were removable? i never looked at it becuase thats what i thought but maybe your right

The idea that the wear is less on a shorter chain is an illusion. The pitch change and the erosion of the sprockets will be the same.

Really? Becuase the chain I find is still good even tho it's worn but I guess it will have premature wear on the sprocket?

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    Really?
    Yep.

Becuase the chain I find is still good even tho it's worn...
    How are you determining that it is still good? <that's the illusion part>

... but I guess it will have premature wear on the sprocket?
    Not premature if you you ran worn out chain.

Kris try this, jack up the front of the machine so all tires but rears are off the ground. Next mark all 4 tires in a straight line and rotate the front tire noting the amount of difference in tire rotation from 1 to 4, they should turn in unison so that is how much wear there is in chains/sprockets.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Hi, here some info about the front chains. I had 97 Argo Conquest and it became time to replace all the chains. I purchased Argo brand chain cut to length. I know I could have bought in bulk rolls but I didn't want the work of cutting the chains. Getting back to the front chains I found out that these chains will stretch enough that the bottom part of the chain will lie on the floor because there are no tensioner to hold the chain up.. The chains wore a hole right through the floor to the skid plate. So keep an eye on the front chains. The easy way to fasten the chain ends is to put the chain around the sprockets fasten the ends with a large plastic tie rap to hold the chain so you can work on the ends next close up the other side of the chain away from the tie with a set of vice grips ground to the shape of the chain barrel and close until you can start the chain connector in half way. Now remove the tie rap and do the same as the other end so you can slide the connector through. Don't forget the center chain spacers if you have double chain. Put the connector through the right side of the chain away from the frame to make it easier to put the connector plate and lock in place. You may also have to use two sets of vice grips. Hope this info helps. This is still not going to be easy unless you have long arms LOL. Paul

+ Reply to Thread