carb problem or what

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: carb problem or what

Hi guys, it got worst. I hardly made it to the camp. Had to walk back. I cut a piece of the air line from tke fuel tank to the rear of the argo. It was blocked. Maybe I should take all out. I ran with the gas cap off. No difference. It goes for a few second than stop or no power to go furthur. I wait a few seconds and it starts like a new one but doesn't stay. Finelly made it to the camp. I cleaned the hose from the pump to the carb. It had a bit of dirt in it. start it with the hose off to see if it was pumping fuel and yes. I took the carb cap off and cleaned the gasket that sticked on it. Put everything back in and it is worst. It starts right away then no power. I need to put it on choke to make it run. I had it choke on with a bit of throttle and it runs but as soon as I give more throttle it stops. I don't know what else I should try
    Jack

I didn't read your thread in detail. However I would try the following.....
    1. Remove filter and blow back down the fuel line, check if there is a restriction, I have seen the pick up pipe blocking, and the fuel hose getting nipped inside the body. The pick up pipe runs dry, leave it a minute and it will fill back up, the machine starts, runs then cuts out after a short time.
    2. Check the fuel solenoid is working ( it operates with the ignition switch, pull your fan switch and you can hear it click)
    3. Make sure your carb float/needle assy is working correctly
    4. Check the carb solenoid fuse is located correctly and corrosion free, I have had an intermittent fault with this before

Hi and thanks for your help. I think I know the problem but don't know where to look or what to fix. I partially blocked the hole on the air filter. It ran better, on the way I had to run with with choke close. It seems it is an air problem. Sucking to much air. I cut a piece of the air hose from the gas tank. It was blocked. But that didn't fix the problem. Maybe it is blocked further. I tried running with the gas cap off or opened a bit. No difference. So the problem is too much air. The carb can't be ajusted on that motor. So it is sucking air somewhere but where. I needed to run slow. When I give more throttle it wanted to stop so problem when I tried to turn since I have to give more throttle. I just don't know what else I should try
    Jack

So hard to diagnose this on here, try spraying the carb linkage on the side where it leads down to the accelerator pump with wd40, while doing this and rotating the throttle a little extra sprayed around carb at idle will tell if you have an air leak.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Put a boat primer bulb in-line so that you can ensure you have purged the line of air and make sure the bowl is getting enough gas. After that trouble shooting is easier.

Put a boat primer bulb in-line so that you can ensure you have purged the line of air and make sure the bowl is getting enough gas. After that trouble shooting is easier. This can act as s back up fuel pump as well, just put it in a spot that you can easily reach while driving.

I beleive I have to cut the fuel line and put the pump between the tank and the fuel filter. I think I can see some air bulb throu the fuel filter does that mean the trouble is from the fuel tank not from the carb.
    Jack

Thank you for the hint. I'll try that the next time I'll go to the camp, next wednesday or friday. Moose hunting begins saturday. I hope I won't have to cary again on my back. It is only 1 mile but with some weigh on the shoulder and walking in some mud. it gets tough for a 60 year old man.
    Jack

Too much air is another way of saying not enough fuel.

So:
    1. will only run choked.
    2. un-choked it will run sitting idling with no load.
    3. If you give it throttle un-choked it will die.
    4. It will sort of run semi-choked with a tiny bit of throttle but if you give it more throttle, it will die.
    5. Sometimes when it dies it has to sit before it will run again.

Probabilities:
    Fuel delivery.
    Float adjusted way too low.
    Plugged port in the carburetor in the low idle circuit or at the change over to high idle circuit.

Test the fuel delivery by taking it out of the equation. The engine should run with gravity fed fuel so make yourself a small tank out of a pop bottle or something to feed the engine and take the delivery hose from the pump to a bottle to measure the flow from the pump. Visible air in the filter is usually not a problem.

Float adjustment and plugged port can both be looked at with a cleaning look see. The plugged port can be a bear to find sometimes.

The won't start for a bit is kind of an outlier symptom; especially since you don't have electric fuel pump. Vacuum locked fuel tank or super slow fuel delivery from an electric fuel pump would be my guesses for that. I'm wondering if this might be just a bit of flooding due to trying to run it choked.

Anyway, those are just my guesses. But I do hope you get it running. I'm not 60 yet (but not all that far off) and having packed elk out of wilderness areas I relate to that last comment of yours.

[Edit]

Okay, page 20 from this manual - I haven't found where it says what the pumped flow rate should be (but I admit to not reading it fully). It does mention a fuel shutoff solenoid. I can't remember if anyone has already mentioned it but it too can cause this.

I would still try and split delivery from carb issue.
    Last edited by JohnF; 10-03-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Simple trick to clear a plugged jet... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. remove the entire air cleaner assembly. get the engine reved up as much as you can, then cover the carb as opening as tightly as you can with the palm of your hand. this will creat a high level of vacuum in the carb, and CAN pull the debris through the port that it is clogging. Engine will flood and sputter try to get your hand off before it completly dies so you don't have to restart it multiple times. takes a bit of practice. I usually do this 4-5 times... if it isn't better by then,this method won't fix it.

also, verify that it is running on both cylinders. is the exhaust hot just beside the head on both cylinders after running for a short time? Most v-twins will run ok at no load on 1 cylinder, but be awful under load
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread