Broken Drive Chain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken Drive Chain

Broken Right Drive Chain

I was heading down a hill at speed and slowed down and then lost drive. I looked under the hood and could see a chain was broken (right side). I'm sure I have the term wrong. This is the small chain that drives the larger chains in the base.

Long story short I was able to thread the chain again and join it but did not have a locking pin (connector) for the broken side. I was hoping to be able to limp home but only got a few feet. Luckily I was on a cottage road and was able to tow the Argo backwards to close to home.

I have a few questions. It felt like something was seized as the Argo would not roll in neutral but this was more trying to tow it backwards. Even with one drive chain off I would have thought that the tracks should spin etc.

Do I need a whole new chain or can I just pickup the locking side for the chain link?
    Last edited by puzle; 03-05-2017 at 06:03 PM.

1: what size chain do you have?
    2: the other tracks didn't turn because the drive chain broke and the chain was bound up around the sprocket or on the bottom of the tub since there isn't much clearance between the sprocket and the tub it was jammed in there.
    3: what kind of argo and tranny do you have?
    4: are the chins stretched or worn out... or are they good?
    5: was it your fault the chain broke(forgot to one of the side plates on?) or is it unknown?
    6: did the chain break at the master link or a random place in the chain?
    7: what brand chain are you running?
    8: what type of tracks are you wearing?
    answer these so we can narrow down the problem!

Thanks for the reply. I do not have all the answers yet but will work thru them.

Point 2: I was able to remove the chain, I think that it was the master link but I do not know (yes I'm a newbie), looking at the Argo parts it looks like it is one and the one side if off. I was not able to find in under the front.

My Argo is a '07 Avenger (I think) EFI Kohler. It has the STD transmission.

The tracks are Argo Rubber tracks.

I also have a plow on and thought that perhaps when I slowed down the front end dropped and the tracks rubbed causing friction and caused the chain to break.

Am I correct in thinking that if the chain was removed the Argo should be able to be pushed and roll?

From what I can tell from looking at a old Parts Manual the idler Chain is the one that broke and is Part 803-54. Looking at ArgoAdv website it looks like I can get a 603-84 Master Connecting Link to at least deal with the chain issue.

The chain that broke, is it the one from the transmission down to the larger sprocket which drives all the chains? Or was it the one from that shaft to the rear of the machine? Did the master link just fall apart and come undone that way? I don't know that you'd break a chain and not hear it...It may be as simple as a badly installed master link..
    Have the chains been inspected, and cleaned lately? Are they stretched? Bent links? I replaced all of mine this past fall as I had one of the idler chains had a stiff link in it, and I wanted a better quality of chain...

Remember, don't add or remove links.. They are designed for a specific link count, and if you have more or less it won't be a fun walk home...And also, fixing it yourself will make it easier if something breaks on you in the bush..

Thanks guys, I was able to pick up a new Master Link for the Idler Chain and install it today and things seem ok. It looking around more under the engine I was able to find the other pieces of the old master link. The locking bar was broken (thin metal bar). This is an older unit '07 I think so in the spring I might give the chains a good look.

While this was not in the bush it was on cottage path in the freezing rain on glare ice so not the most fun I have had... :-)

I am looking forward to learning more about the internals of the Argo this spring, summer.

+ Reply to Thread