New LS transmission = a sprocket change?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New LS transmission = a sprocket change?

New LS transmission = a sprocket change?

I made an interesting discovery in the parts manual today for the 2016 Huntmaster. In the back where all the optional parts are listed such as bead lock wheels, front rack, the different seat assembly I found "Litespeed option". In that diagram is a set of 12 tooth "idler" shaft/sprockets shown along with 4 24T sprockets for the shafts driven directly by those idler shafts. The normal sprockets are 11 tooth idlers and 25T driven. Also along with it is a different brake master cylinder assembly plus the steering column assy. and steering arm. So you can see what argo has done here is simply change the sprockets to gain extra speed off the top of their highest speed previous admiral transmission. It looks like they must have also made the brakes less sensitive to avoid abrupt turns at speed. Interesting....

I'm really interested in some good road speed. We run some gravel roads and between the rpm motor mods and the gearing change, hopefully we will be cooking when the time comes
    Thanks
    Ty Turner

870-818-1315
    tyturnersoffroad@yahoo.com

JESUS ROCKS

You see where them sprockets are? You will find it will be easier to change the transmission instead.
    Why can't people just leave Argo's be slow? What's really the difference between 30 and 40 kph or 19 and 25 mph? Especially with no suspension.
    I can cruise around at 50 kph or 31 mph in my Polaris 800 6x6 all day with suspension like a breeze and actually enjoy the ride.

I have to admit, I thought the same until I looked at it and realized the benefits for the cost.
    I will keep my Argo for floating, and my SxS for joy riding. Neither will ever replace eachtother ever, I have a strong need for both. My SxS will never float and swim no matter what I do to it like the Argo, and my Argo will never ride like a suspended machine for high mileage riding or anything of speed...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
    You see where them sprockets are? You will find it will be easier to change the transmission instead.
    Why can't people just leave Argo's be slow? What's really the difference between 30 and 40 kph or 19 and 25 mph? Especially with no suspension.
    I can cruise around at 50 kph or 31 mph in my Polaris 800 6x6 all day with suspension like a breeze and actually enjoy the ride.

I have to admit, I thought the same until I looked at it and realized the benefits for the cost.
    I will keep my Argo for floating, and my SxS for joy riding. Neither will ever replace eachtother ever, I have a strong need for both. My SxS will never float and swim no matter what I do to it like the Argo, and my Argo will never ride like a suspended machine for high mileage riding or anything of speed...

I will totally agree, I have a unique situation where a couple mph faster would be nice and wouldn't change the ride what so ever. And yes we have a rzr4 and there is no comparison when ya wanna go fast. But a smith graded gravel road that has several flooded spot and then several miles to go before the woods would make a couple more mph welcomed
    Thanks
    Ty Turner

870-818-1315
    tyturnersoffroad@yahoo.com

JESUS ROCKS

Keep in mind I posted this for informational purposes only. Nobody reading this is now obligated to purchase and install this accessory. Nor are you obligated to twist your throttle all the way to 40 blazing km/h if you don't want to. The dealership may not even sell it to you for safety reasons.

It is merely a point of interest that argo didn't actually change the admiral transmission. They created a new set of sprockets for it and called it "litespeed". Pretty neat marketing.

For arguments sake, it'd be much cheaper and easier to replace $400 worth of sprockets than a $5000 140lb transmission. Especially if you chose to do it along with replacing your front axle bearings and had to remove those axles anyway. I looked into changing transmissions for different hunting areas and it was completely impractical. You would have to deal with clutch alignment and break your back pulling that heavy transmission out. Would have been cheaper to heli-drop it into the area every year for at least 5 years.

Essentially all they did was reintroduce the original configuration as another option for high speed.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

What I was saying though is you have to remove and disassemble the transmission to replace those sprockets as they are on the output drive of the transmission. If they were on a separate drive axle like the regular transmission then yes it would be more practical.

[QUOTE=Coast2Coast;207716]Keep in mind I posted this for informational purposes only. Nobody reading this is now obligated to purchase and install this accessory. Nor are you obligated to twist your throttle all the way to 40 blazing km/h if you don't want to. The dealership may not even sell it to you for safety reasons.

It is merely a point of interest that argo didn't actually change the admiral transmission. They created a new set of sprockets for it and called it "litespeed". Pretty neat marketing.

For arguments sake, it'd be much cheaper and easier to replace $400 worth of sprockets than a $5000 140lb transmission. Especially if you chose to do it along with replacing your front axle bearings and had to remove those axles anyway. I looked into changing transmissions for different hunting areas and it was completely impractical. You would have to deal with clutch alignment and break your back pulling that heavy transmission out. Would have been cheaper to heli

That would be a pain for sure. I believe you can just unbolt the coupling where it comes out of the transmission there's 5 allen head bolts there, then unbolt the bearing carrier and set screws and swivel the shaft out. This of course after you remove the chains, brakes and secondary clutch. I replaced the steering rotor on that side and required removing both the brake calipers and secondary clutch. I blundered my way through that side in about an hour, so if a guy was real ambitious about this project he could probably get it done in half a day I'd bet. Assuming things aren't locked up too bad to yank the front axles out with a slide hammer.

Either way I won't be trying it with mine since that's way down there on the never ending list of projects, with my bull in a china shop mechanic skills the argo will thank me for not breaking anything further.

Well that's good to know, I must have missed the coupling when I looked at mine. Either way I should find out soon enough, I will be swapping my 6.4 trans out with the 8.4 trans this spring. If it is feasible and not too ridiculously priced like the rest of Argo's gear I may just try them out with the 8.4 trans to see how they work out for something in between both setups!

Just catching up on this thread now. I think there was an internal change to the LS transmission and it wasn't just a sprocket change. The sprockets did change to give a higher speed but if you look at the planetaries between the transmissions you'll see a different tooth count on those parts. I assume they decreased the steer ratio at full lock so it doesn't turn as sharp at the higher speed. Curious if that change eliminates the slight counter rotation in low gear. Still haven't driven one of these things.

+ Reply to Thread