Max II w/Tracks w/o Cage Bearings?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max II w/Tracks w/o Cage Bearings?

Max II w/Tracks w/o Cage Bearings?

So I'm not the guy in some of the videos who jumps my 6x6 over canyons or motors thru obstacles chasing behind a Jeep.

Right now, I'm pretty much the "Over the valley and thru the woods & across the frozen lake guy... That's right now...

I have a track kit coming... Noticed that to install the Bearing cages, I need to remove the axles. My Max II is a 93. It looks like the axles may come out ok, but I've seen the other stories, it looks like the bearing and flanges may be ok, but I've seen the other stories. The hollow axles may be ok, but I've seen the other stories :-)

My Question: It looks like to do the job right I'm in for a big price tag (replacing all) and winter is here now. How much risk is there to just adding the axle extensions and tracks for now, and acting like I have some common sense and don't "Run-A-Muck" just ride easy. Then do the overhaul as I get parts going into next year?

Also is it ok the buy solid axles as the others fail, or don't fail? Thx Mike
    Run-A-Muck

My Mav IV is a 2003 with factory splined axles....I'm currently waiting on another axle to come in after my second front axle failure with tracks and no cages. I was just driving down a snow covered dirt road when it let go but I had been hearing what I thought was a bearing going out.

I would at least try to instal cages on the front and rear axles. I'm doing my front axles now, I will do the other 4 in the spring/summer when the weather is nicer.

This is a FB video of me a friend posted 2 weeks ago, not sure if the link will work lol

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...0&id=589655169
    Last edited by Canadian_Zuk; 12-09-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Hmmmm, Ok Thx
    Run-A-Muck

Yes the video link worked... Don't want to be like Steve... Looks like I will at least be installing the Bearing cages with the existing parts, unless I really find a truly bad one...

Any other comments out there???
    Run-A-Muck

i think if you use the bearing cages and don't jump off cliffs etc. you should be o.k. if you do bend a axle, just replace with solid one as needed. are you needing to use wheel exstensions so the tracks fit ? johnboy va.

If you are going with the factory style rubber tracks, those hollow axles will last about as long as your first powered turn. I think you would be better off to upgrade axles, bearing cages, chain, etc all at once. It might be more economical to purchase a Max 2 that came equipped with the upgrades. Either way, probably not what you wanted to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    If you are going with the factory style rubber tracks, those hollow axles will last about as long as your first powered turn. I think you would be better off to upgrade axles, bearing cages, chain, etc all at once. It might be more economical to purchase a Max 2 that came equipped with the upgrades. Either way, probably not what you wanted to hear.
    I had suggested that, there was one on ebay for near the cost of the tracks.

Personally if I was to run that machine with tracks, I think I'd go Argo plastic or Trutrax for forgiveness.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Yes I am using the extensions... I realize that the upgrades are needed... I guess I'll see how it goes... If I break something I'll fix it and keep on going until I get everything changed out. I wanted to use it in the snow mostly so maybe there won't be too much resistance. I just didn't want it to be all torn down while I could be having more fun THIS season. I'll be ready for next season for sure. Thanks for all your help and comments, I'm sure we will be in touch as I go.. Mike
    Run-A-Muck

Are you sure your axles are hollow? If you can post a pic of the center of the wheel flange and side shot of axle and flange.

I have driven my scrambler with max drivetrain with hollow axles and rubber snowmobile tracks with ice studs on my lawn many times in the summer,totaly destroyed my lawn ,I have my front Chains removed and I did not snap an axle.This was with the long snowmobile ice cleats on the tracks!I ground down the cleats so they are below the height of the tracks.I did have one axle flange break clean off the axle ,I then made my own solid axle and mig welded around the flanges on my hollow axles.My axles are the original 3 bolt type with a 1/4" plate welded on for a 4 bolt conversion hub.I did make my own 12" hub extensions .I say drive yours and see what happens.Just like the ford O.D. trans on my 95 dually,its supposed to be a crummy trans that cant tow and will be nothing but problems.226,000 miles without a problem for me.

+ Reply to Thread